Thursday, July 30, 2015

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

"The most delicious cookies I've ever made!" That's how Phyllis Pellman Good and Rachel Thomas Pellman describe these Chocolate Chip Cookies in their from Amish and Mennonite Kitchens cookbook. I guess the person they got the recipe from (they don't credit anyone specific for the recipes) had the comment that said "They are more moist when they are kept in the freezer a while." (not in quotation marks - I added those because I was quoting from the book) Beneath that statement were several sentences in quotation marks (the book authors' comments?) To continue the quote - " They taste more-ish. I didn't get a chance to put any in the freezer."

I made the cookies and decided after they cooled that I would place a few in the freezer to see if I agreed with the comment. I personally didn't notice a difference. I just enjoyed the cookies (especially with a little glass of milk).

The cookies are a softer chocolate chip cookie (maybe that is due to the sour cream?) and not as sweet as most I have eaten. But then that is okay with us as we usually like our goodies not super sweet anyway. 

When I made the cookies, I cut the recipe in half (easy to do) because I didn't want to make 8 dozen cookies. The recipe I am sharing is for the full amount. Also, since I was cutting the recipe in half, I did substitute the cup of sugar with 1/2 cup sugar/stevia baking blend.



CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

makes 8 dozen cookies

1       cup shortening
2      cups sugar
4      eggs
1       cup sour cream (I used light sour cream)
4      cups flour
1/2   teaspoon salt
2      teaspoons baking soda
1       (12 oz) bag of chocolate chips
1       cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
2      cups raisins (boiled, cooled, and drained), optional (I did omit)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.


Cream shortening and sugar.

Add eggs 


and beat til fluffy.


Add sour cream and mix well.


Combine the flour, salt, and soda and gradually add it to the mixture. Mix well.


Stir in chocolate chips, nuts, and raisins, if desired.


Drop by heaping teaspoons onto greased cookie sheets. (I used my cookie scoop and flattened the dough with my fingers as they didn't spread as they cooked.


Bake for 10 minutes. (This is a picture of my first pan...you can see how they didn't spread when they baked.)


Remove and cool on wire rack.










Remember if you want to print this recipe the print icon below will allow you to remove images when the print window opens. If you do not see the print icon, you need to scroll back to the title of this post and click/tap on it. Then you will see just this post and the print icon will be before the share buttons. Home will return you to the blog and the most recent posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment