Wednesday, July 1, 2015

$175,000 CAKE

I don't know why Mrs. Tom McNiel of Constantine, MI called this delicious cake $175,000 Cake. At first I thought maybe she won a contest with it, but I'm not sure cooking contests give the winner that much money. She contributed it in a cookbook from the magazine Women's Circle called Home Cooking. It didn't have a publication date but I can tell it wasquite a while ago. It contains more 1200 recipes. I haven't even had time to look all the way through it yet.

The volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop thought it was worth that much money. They loved it, to say the least. I did, too. They were surprised when I told them I had reduced the calories. In fact, the general manager, Jim, had come by the register earlier and said smiling, "That dessert you brought today isn't good for you, is it? I ate a small piece." Then I told him. You really can't tell the difference in taste by using the sugar-free cake mix and reduced fat cream cheese. 



$175, 000 CAKE

Bottom Layer:

1       German chocolate cake mix (I didn't have one so I used a sugar-free Devil's food cake mix)
1        large egg
1        stick of butter (1/2 cup) (I did use margarine)

Middle Layer:

1         12 - ounce package chocolate chips (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
1         cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)

Top Layer:

1          8 - ounce package cream cheese, softened (I used 1/3 less fat)
2         large eggs
1          box of powdered sugar (4-1/4 cups)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan. (I used my homemade Pan Grease.)


Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter in a large mixing bowl with electric mixer.

Press the mixture into the prepared pan.


Sprinkle the bottom layer with the chips and
then the nuts.


For the top layer, beat the cream cheese til smooth. 
Add the eggs, and powdered sugar and beat til smooth.


Pour over the middle layer. Be careful if you spread this layer to the edges and corners that you don't mix in the nuts. You can see why I give this tip.


Bake for 40 - 45 minutes. 


Cool 2 hours 


before cutting into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment