Saturday, June 15, 2013

DINNER IN ONE DISH

We returned last week from a 12 - day vacation.  Half of it was visiting with family and friends which is always great.  We left KCMO in the rain and it seemed like we carried the rain with us most of the time.  By the time we got back home we had put 3000 + miles on the rental car and traveled in 9 states.  

I haven't published any post since we got back as it is always difficult to get back into your daily routine especially when you are away from home that long.  Needless to say I have a "bunch of posts" in my mind (from recipes to "points of interest" we visited) that I just need to find time to sit down and do.  

I am also working on a tutorial for a gathered tier skirt I made for my granddaughters.  You saw two of them wearing the skirt in the Mother's Day post HERE.  Sewing/quilting tutorial always take me a while to write because I am such a detailed person (the teacher in me) and I want to make sure I am not too detailed but detailed enough.  Fine line.....Anyway I hope to get it finished and published soon.

Recipes are always quick for me to do so I thought I would share a dinner we enjoyed when we visited out friends, Vicki and Don, in Atlanta.  

We met Vicki and Don here at church in KCMO.  They attended our Sunday school class called the Bible Boomers.  Vicki also became active with our United Methodist Women's unit, Hope Circle.  We even attended the UMW's General Conference meeting in St. Louis.  BUT Don was transferred to Atlanta and they moved back to Atlanta.  When we were planning our trip and knew we would be going through Atlanta, I knew we had to go by and see them.

For dinner Vicki had decided to make a recipe that her daughter Kristi makes and calls One dish Meal in One.  You can use a variety of meats such as chicken or pork chops, but Vicki knew we liked chicken and decided to use that.  She also said you can use a variety of vegetables including broccoli or carrots.  She used chicken tenders but said she usually used boneless chicken breasts. The great thing about the recipe is you have a little time to prepare it and then you can go on and visit with the company or other things you need to do.  It fed the 4 of us and there was enough leftover for Don to take to work for his lunch later that week.




DINNER IN ONE DISH

1     stick of unsalted butter (can use low fat margarine--at least 60% vegetable spread)
1     package Zesty Italian Salad Dressing Marinade mix
2     lbs chicken (5 - 6 boneless chicken breast)
red potatoes
frozen green beans

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray a pyrex baking dish with cooking spray.  (Vicki used a dish that was 15 x 10 x 2)

Melt the butter/margarine in the microwave in a small bowl.


Arrange the chicken down the center of the dish. (Remember Vicki used chicken tenders this time.)







Cut the 3 - 5 red potatoes (or enough to fill in one side of the dish) into chunks.  Fill in one side of the dish with the potatoes.






Arrange the frozen green beans on the other side of the dish.









Sprinkle the dry salad dressing marinade mix evenly over the dish and then pour the melted butter/margarine over all.







Will be ready for the oven after you cover it with foil.









Bake for 1 hour or less (about 45 minutes if using chicken tenders).







Remember it also works well with pork chops.

Vicki also made real banana pudding for dessert, but I need to do some work in my sewing room, so I will share that recipe with you soon in another post.

Our visit with Vicki and Don had to end too soon and we had to leave to go to Macon where my husband played a round of golf on the first golf course he ever played on.  We also drove around and found places he remembered from his childhood growing up there.  Before it started raining we toured the Ocmulgee National Monument (Indian Mounds).  Have pictures of all these places to share with you too.


Here is a picture of Vicki and me as we were getting ready to leave.

Oh btw, they really appreciated the rain we "brought them" on Sunday night.  Since we left, they have had plenty more, but they hadn't seen any rain in quite a while when we got there.  The rain prevented us from walking around in their neighborhood which would have been nice, but it didn't prevent us from "catching up" inside.  A fun visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment