Wednesday, September 2, 2026

NOT JUST YOUR ORDINARY CARROT CAKE

Today during our cool-down time after walking a mile, the Morning Walkers started talking about family traditions.  I love hearing the stories of family traditions. Some were similar and some were very unique.

Growing up my mother's family, many traditions were made and as I grew up more and more were established by aunts and even a cousin or two that continued after I got married and moved away. If the family got together, you could count on my mother making a couple of Lemon Ice Box pies and a pecan pie , my aunt Corine a carrot cake, Aunt Nita would make a delicious fudge pie, and my cousin Doris always brings an Italian Cream Cake. There were other treats that my cousins and I always reminisce about.

I don't have Corine's recipe for her Carrot Cake, but it was from scratch and was the best carrot cake ever. When Wayne and I go a local buffet, we often will get a slice of carrot cake for dessert to share. I eat the top layer (with the extra icing) and he eats the bottom layer.  Works well for me. 

I just happened to have a carrot cake cake mix in my pantry so I decided to make a carrot cake for canasta this week for Friend Fran to serve the group. I wanted to "kick it up a notch" as a famous chef likes to say by enriching the box mix to try to make a carrot cake that would stand up to my aunt Corine's cake. I think she would have liked it. I hope you will try it and enjoy it yourself.



PRINT RECIPE

 CARROT CAKE EXTRAORDINAIRE 

1      box Super Moist Carrot cake mix

4     large eggs

1      cup buttermilk

1/4  stick of butter (1/4 cup) melted

2     cups shredded carrots

1/2  cup drained crushed pineapple

1      teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2  cup chopped pecans

cream cheese frosting

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch pan with nonstick cooking spray with flour. Set aside. (If you want to make a layer cake, you can prepare two - 9-inch round pans - bake for 27 minutes.)

Add dry cake mix, eggs, buttermilk, butter, carrots, pineapple, and pecans to a large mixing bowl.
With mixer on lowest speed, slowly stir the ingredients until all combined. Then increase the speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl and make sure all ingredients are wet.

Pour batter and spread evenly in the pan.

Bake in the oven for 27 - 30 minutes or until toothpick tests done when inserted in the center of the cake. Cool completely in pan before icing. 

I took the simple way out and used a purchased can of cream cheese frosting to ice the cake. Sprinkle with a handful of coarsely  chopped pecans.




Cut in squares to serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment