Friday, March 8, 2024

FUNFETTI BARS

 Funfetti bars and cookies are very popular with the Cafe Treats bakers and patrons at Platte Woods United Methodist Church. I needed an option to serve for our patrons who are watching their sugar intake whether just to be healthier or due to a medical condition. 

When I need a sugar-free option, I often use a sugar-free or now they call it zero sugar cake mix. That means that so many of my sugar-free recipes can be made not sugar free by using a regular cake mix. 

This recipe uses a diet 7up because it was advertised as a sugar-free recipe. Just like with the cake mix, if you aren't wanting a sugar-free treat, you can just use a regular 7-up or Sprite drink.

The problem with my treat that was supposed to be sugar-free was the addition of the sprinkles that make it "funfetti". I considered substituting some sugar-free chocolate chips, but didn't. I just used half of what the original recipe called for. I personally can't imagine what it would have been like with a whole half cup. 

So that means my recipe wasn't really sugar-free. I personally really regretted that but I just advertised it as sugar-free except for the sprinkles. No one complained.

The bars were really delicious. I cut the bars small as I usually do and only took half of them to church Sunday (24 bars). I froze the rest so that means I can take them next Sunday and won't have to make something else this Saturday. 





PRINT RECIPE.

FUNFETTI BARS

1     box sugar-free classic yellow cake mix or regular yellow cake mix

12   oz Diet 7up or regular 7-up

1/4  cup sprinkles

sugar-free powdered sugar or regular powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.


Empty the cake mix into a large mixing bowl. Pour in 7up and stir with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. (Increase the speed to medium after the liquid has been absorbed.)

Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.


Stir in the sprinkles and

then spread the batter evenly in the pan.









Bake for 34 to 38 minutes. Test doneness with a toothpick inserted in the center.

Cool in the pan on a wire rack. 


Cut in bars when ready to serve.

Then dust the top with the powdered sugar.








Store in the refrigerator.


No comments:

Post a Comment