Monday, February 19, 2024

WHITE CHOCOLATE CRANBERRY BLONDIES

 

Each Sunday we try to offer a gluten-free and a sugar-free treat at the Cafe at Platte Woods United Methodist Church.  I had an idea last week that I would buy a cake mix that was gluten-free and sugar-free so then I could make one treat instead of two. I was so excited. Then when I started to gather the ingredients, I noticed on the back of the box that the cake mix was prepared using almond and coconut flour. That wouldn't work at all since the Cafe is a "nut-free zone". So I put the cake mix back in the pantry and got out the gluten-free biscuit and baking mix that is made with rice flour. 

In the past that is what I have used when I had to make something that was gluten-free. It actually works well in a regular recipe like this one and just omit the baking powder, baking soda, and salt that the regular recipe called for. I have done this several times and it has worked well every time.

I used the brown sugar instead of my brown sugar complete so I did have a different treat to offer for no-sugar-added. I cut the servings small as I always do but I only took half of the pan so I can freeze the rest and share them again next Sunday.


PRINT RECIPE.

WHITE CHOCOLATE CRANBERRY BLONDIES

1       cup dried cranberries

2       cups hot water

3/4    cups (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar

4       teaspoons vanilla

2       large eggs

1-1/2 cups flour*

1       teaspoon baking powder*

1/2    teaspoon salt*

1       cup white chocolate baking morsels

*I substituted 1-1/2 cups gluten-free baking mix for the flour, baking powder, and salt for gluten-free blondies


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.


Chop the dried cranberries while you boil the water.

In a medium sized bowl combine the dried cranberries with the hot water and

allow to set for 1 minute.

Drain.


In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer

until light and fluffy, at a minute. Scrape the sides of the bowl at least once.

Add the vanilla and eggs, one at a time,

blending well each time.










In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients if you are not using the gluten-free baking mix. 


Add dry ingredients or baking mix to the creamed mixture and

mix to combine.


Fold in the cranberries and white chocolate morsels.


Spread the batter evenly into the pan.


Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top is a light golden brown and tests done with a toothpick. Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting.


Cut into squares or desired serving size pieces.




2 comments:

  1. How much sugar, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. So sorry I missed that. 1-1/2 cups brown sugar. Will make that correction. Thank you for catching my error. Patricia

      Delete