Wednesday, September 20, 2017

TERI'S MACARONI & CHEESE


I love Debbie Macomber's books. Several years ago I read the whole Cedar Cove series. Having read the books, I enjoyed the series on the Hallmark Channel, but I didn't like how they changed the storylines. 

A few years ago when I was in the library I saw a book, Knit Along with Debbie Macomber, the Cedar Cove Collection that contained some knitting patterns. In the back were some recipes and one of them was Peggy Beldon's Blueberries Muffins. I made them and of course shared them here on my blog.

The other day I was in the library and decided to check out the cookbook section and saw another cookbook called Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove Cookbook. Remembering how much I liked the muffins, I decided to check it out. I love how she "revisits" the characters and divides the recipes by the characters. 

This recipe for Teri's Macaroni & Cheese was in the Dinner at 44 Cranberry Point with Bob and Peggy Beldon. (Remember they turned their home into a Bed-and-Breakfast.) Macomber said that Teri Polgar had given Peggy this wonderful recipe. 

This is definitely comfort food at its best (as Macomber says). It makes a lot though so invite someone over to help you eat it. They will love you forever. You could make it gluten free too if you wanted. I use a gluten free pasta and you could use a gluten free flour for the flour.




TERI'S MACARONI & CHEESE

4       tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, plus extra for the pan
1/3    cup flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
2       cups whole milk (I used skim milk)
1/2    pound Velveeta cheese, cut into chunks
1/2    cup cottage cheese
1/2    cup sour cream (I used Greek yogurt plain nonfat)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1        pound elbow macaroni
Shredded cheddar cheese, for topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter (or spray) a 3 - quart casserole pan or several small oven-safe baking cups.


Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.


Sprinkle in flour; stirring until absorbed, about 1 minutes.


Slowly pour in milk; stirring constantly,
until incorporated.
Reduce heat to low and add Velveeta chunks,
stirring until melted.


Stir in cottage cheese, sour cream or yogurt,
salt, and pepper.


Meanwhile, cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain; place in prepared pan.


Pour cheese sauce over the macaroni and fold in.








Cover and
bake for 25 minutes.


Uncover, sprinkle with shredded cheese and
bake 10 more minutes or until cheese melts.


Call everyone to the table and be comforted.

No comments:

Post a Comment