Friday, September 1, 2017

REFRIGERATOR CUCUMBERS

Can you believe it is September already? Where did the summer go? August was much cooler here in Kansas City than normal. Haven't heard what our fall is going to be. Have heard winter may be a little cold with more snow. The last couple of years winter hasn't been too bad at all here so we might find ourselves looking for somewhere south to go for some of the winter. 

Friend Luci served Eulalia Schieber's Refrigerator Cucumbers at Farkle on Monday. She said it wasn't her normal recipe, but I didn't hear why she didn't use her normal recipe that she likes so much. I told her I had taken a picture of the bowl so would she share the recipe with me. She hesitated because it wasn't her normal recipe and looked different. (They decided the turmeric made it yellow.) I quickly assured her that Friends Carol and Janice had already told me to make sure I put it on my blog. (In fact the last thing Carol said to me when she left was, "Now you are going to have it on your blog, aren't you?")

I admit I didn't eat any because cucumbers and onions do not like me at all, but everyone else at the gathering raved about them. I heard Carol say that most people did their refrigerator cucumbers the same way and she loved this different way.


REFRIGERATOR CUCUMBERS

6         cups thinly sliced cucumbers (Luci said she used 3 cucumbers so she had just a little over 6 cups.)
2         cups thinly sliced onions
1-1/2   cups sugar
1-1/2   cups vinegar
1/2      teaspoon salt
1/2      teaspoon mustard seed
1/2      teaspoon celery seed
1/2      teaspoon ground turmeric

In a glass or crockery bowl alternately layer the sliced cucumbers and onion.

In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard seed, celery seed, and ground turmeric.

Bring to boil, stirring just until sugar is dissolved.

Pour vinegar mixture over the cucumber and onions; cool.

Cover tightly and store pickles at least 24 hours before serving.

Store up to 1 month in the refrigerator.


No comments:

Post a Comment