Wednesday, September 6, 2017

GOOEY BUTTER COOKIES


I met Friend Effieann when she found my post on How to Make a Rag Quilt. She wanted to make rag quilts for her kids and needed to know a pattern to use and how much material she needed to buy. That was three years ago. Since then, she has made many rag quilts and always sends me pictures of them finished. She even sent me a fleece throw that I love to cover up with in the winter when I am reading or watching television that she made to thank me for all my help. 

Recently she sent me this recipe and told me she had made them for a gathering and everyone loved them. Well, I knew the recipe sounded good, but until I made them, I had no idea how good they were. They are not just good, they are out-of-this-world awesome! The volunteers at Hillcrest were just drooling.



GOOEY BUTTER COOKIES

1/2       cup (1 stick) butter 
1/4       teaspoon vanilla
1           egg
8          ounces cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese. You could even use fat free.)
1           box yellow cake mix (My cake mix did contain pudding)
powdered sugar, sifted


Beat the butter, vanilla, egg, and cream cheese until light and fluffy. (What do you think of my action picture?)
(I cut the stick of butter into slices about 1/4 inch thick. Cream cheese should be at room temperature. I start the electric mixture on slow to start and gradually increase the speed until it is light and fluffy.)


Mix in the dry cake mix.




Chill dough for 30 minutes.





Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or grease cookie sheet. You can avoid this if you use a nonstick cookie sheet.


Using a small cookie scoop, scoop out dough and
drop it in a bowl of sifted powdered sugar. Roll ball in sugar to completely coat.
I tapped it against the side of the bowl to knock off any excess sugar.


Place on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.


Bake for 12 minutes.


Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack. (Missing a few because my husband and I had to try them out. I wouldn't want to take something to share at Hillcrest that didn't taste good...and it's hard to eat just one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment