Tuesday, April 4, 2017

VEGGIE BEEF CASSEROLE

For our weekly casserole last week, I thought I would use ground beef instead of chicken. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be to find a recipe I wanted to try. So many have lots of those ingredients I don't like to cook with (ie, onions and peppers) because my digestive system doesn't tolerate them well. 

I kinda knew what I wanted to do but thought I could find a recipe. I finally found one of Peg Bracken's recipe that I could start with and then expand. The results were very good. My husband really liked it and for once, didn't add any seasonings to his helping. It also worked well for us to enjoy as leftovers for several nights. 

Feel free to add or substitute your own  "seasonings" that you enjoy the taste of. To some degree I used what I had on hand. And of course, if you want to add some onion and or peppers, feel free.




VEGGIE BEEF CASSEROLE

1      lb ground beef
1      15 - ounce can mixed vegetables(drained) or about 2 cups frozen vegetables
1      15 - ounce can beef broth or consomme
2     tablespoons meat sauce (I used BBQ sauce)
1       tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1       teaspoon garlic salt
1/2   teaspoon pepper
1       box Jiffy cornbread mix + ingredients to prepare according to box directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Brown ground beef in large skillet over medium heat.
Add broth and other ingredients except for mixed vegetables.


Pour into a 10 - inch baking dish or similar size. (My dish was about 7 x 12 - inches.) Spread out evenly.


Spoon mixed vegetables evenly over mixture.


Mix up cornbread using directions on box
(1 egg + 1/3 cup milk).


Spoon cornbread mixture over mixture and then spread it out evenly to completely cover the mixture.


Bake for 30 minutes or until cornbread is done.


Serve and enjoy.







No comments:

Post a Comment