Monday, April 3, 2017

APPLE CRISP CAKE

Saturday we spent some time with our younger son, Patrick, and his family. We hadn't seen them in a month because of our road trip. That is too long to go and not see two of my grandchildren. I haven't seen the other four in Colorado since Christmas and that is too long, also.

Patrick said he would grill something so I told him I would bring dessert. Surprise! Surprise! I know how much he likes apple dessert so I decided to make this Apple Crisp Cake I got from Betty Crocker. The recipe called for a yellow cake mix but I used a spice one. I often do this when recipes call for a yellow cake mix and then add apples. It was really good. Patrick said he was full, but before I knew it he was eating his serving. His priceless comment was, "Yum. This is light tasting. Not heavy at all like I thought it was going to be." I also omitted the walnuts because they don't like nuts in their desserts. 


APPLE CRISP CAKE

Streusel

3/4      cup old-fashioned oats
1/4       cup all-purpose flour
3/4      cup packed brown sugar
1           teaspoon cinnamon
1/2       cup cold butter
1/2       cup chopped walnuts

Apple Layer

1          tablespoon butter
2         cups coarsely chopped, peeled tart apples

Cake

1         box spice cake mix 
1/3     cup oil
1/2     cup water
4        eggs
1         cup sour cream (I used light sour cream)
1         tablespoon cinnamon is you use a white or yellow cake mix

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9 x 13 - inch pan with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, prepare the streusel by mixing the oats, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in cold butter, using fork or pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Stir in nuts, set aside.

In a 10 - inch skillet, cook butter and apples over medium eat, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes or until apples are tender. Set aside

In a large bowl, beat cake ingredients with electric mixer on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.

Top with cooked apples.

Sprinkle streusel evenly over the apples.

Bake 44 to 48 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool completely on wire rack.

When ready to serve,
add a scoop of whipped topping.





I was treated to a manicure by granddaughter Madison. I think she used every color she had. Might not be able to tell it from the picture, but every nail had two different colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment