Tuesday, March 28, 2017

CHICKEN POT PIE CASSEROLE

I hope you have been enjoying my "travelogue" of our recent road trip visiting family and sight-seeing. While in New Orleans, we went down to the French Quarters and I fell in love with Mary Foreman's Best of the Best Presents Deep South Dish Homestyle Southern Recipes cookbook. I usually buy my cookbooks at estate sales where I can get them at tremendously reduced prices. It didn't have a price on it, but I was sure it would probably be around $20 (and it was). My husband offered to get it for me and I am so glad.

One of the recipes I first wanted to make was for a Chicken and Dumpling Casserole. I LOVE chicken and dumpling, especially my mother's. I guess because this was a "casserole", the "dumplings" were different. (They had two pictures of the casserole on the two pages.

After we got back home, I found myself opening the cookbook to make the casserole. Below the recipe was the information to make a Chicken Pot Pie Casserole with the recipe by adding some veggies. Knowing my husband doesn't share my love for chicken and dumplings, I decided to make it instead. 

Well, we loved it. Think of chicken pot pie without all the crust. That's what we enjoyed that night and for several nights afterwards as leftovers. (It does make a lot!)  The recipe called for 3 - 4 cups shredded chicken and 1 - 2 cans mixed vegetables. I used the larger amounts and it meant we had a very meaty, very veggie casserole. I had so much in the dish, I couldn't get all of the liquid (chicken stock and soup) mixture in it. I couldn't even add the frozen peas the recipe called for. This meant the casserole didn't have as much "liquid" in it as a pot pie has. If you want more liquid, I would suggest that you use the less amounts. Trust me, it was really good the way I made it. I kept the stock/soup mixture that I couldn't use in the refrigerator and poured a little bit of it in the bowl when I warmed up some for leftovers in the microwave. Worked out great!


CHICKEN POT PIE CASSEROLE

1/2      stick unsalted butter, melted (1/4 cup)
3 - 4   cups cooked shredded chicken
1          cup milk
1          cup self-rising flour
2         cups low-sodium chicken stock or broth (I used the "stock" made from cooking the chicken in the slow cooker. I had added a little water to the frozen chicken when I cooked it for 4 - 5 hours on HIGH in the slow cooker. I made some broth with one chicken bouillon cube and 1 cup hot water to make up the difference.)
1        (10-3/4 ounce) can original cream of chicken soup (I did use a fat - free one - sorry, can't help it)
1 - 2  (15-ounce) cans mixed veggies, drained.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Pour melted butter into bottom of a 9 x 13 - inch baking dish.

Layer the chicken in the bottom of the baking dish.

Top with the mixed vegetables.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and four, and slowly pour over the chicken/veggies. Do not stir!

Whisk together the chicken stock and cream of chicken soup. Slowly pour into baking pan over mixture. Do not stir! (I poured in as much of the mixture as I felt I could dare. I would have liked to have covered the ingredients though.)

Bake, uncovered, 35 - 45 minutes, or until top is light golden brown.


Let casserole rest before serving. (This will allow the liquid to thicken more.) (Since I used the larger amounts, I didn't have enough liquid to cover the casserole as I think it was supposed to and so my casserole looked differently than I think it was supposed to. And I didn't even use the frozen peas the original recipe called for.)


Tomorrow I will continue with my travelogue of our trip so I hope you will check back tomorrow and "join" me at the Lady Bird Johnson's Wildflower Center - Texas' Botanical Garden . 

No comments:

Post a Comment