Monday, February 13, 2017

MARRIAGE MEATLOAF

I saw this recipe called Marriage Meatloaf on Kevin Williams' Amish365.com website. I read his introduction for the recipe and was intrigued. Kevin said he had received a letter from a reader who said that Elisabeth Coblentz's recipe had "saved her marriage" as it was the one thing she could do for her husband that really brought them together, satisfied him, etc. 

I checked it out not because I felt my marriage needed saving, but because meatloaf just happens to be one of my husband's favorite meals. I like it, but won't usually order it in restaurants because they usually put onions and peppers in it and I don't do "onions and peppers" well in recipes. As I was thinking about making it, I decided I could make it and it would "save our marriage" as it would make my husband very happy and me, too. 

You see what I decided to do was first mix up all of the ingredients except for the diced onions. Then I divided the mixture in half. Using my Pyrex "mini" loaf pans (they are actually a little bigger than mini loaf pans), I put half of the mixture in one of them and then added the diced onions to the rest of the mixture. It was quite a bit of onion in the smaller loaf because I used the full amount the recipe called for with the bigger loaf, but that just pleased him more. (I offered to add peppers even though the recipe didn't call for it, but he said that was okay.) It was easy then to divide the mixture for the topping between the two pans.



MARRIAGE MEATLOAF

2        lbs ground beef
3/4    cups quick oats
2        well-beaten eggs
1/4     cup chopped onions
3/4    cup tomato juice
2        teaspoons salt
1-1/2  teaspoons pepper

SAUCE

2       tablespoons ketchup
2       tablespoons mustard
2       tablespoons brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix all ingredients together.

Pack firmly in loaf pan.

Mix sauce ingredients and spread over meatloaf before baking.

Bake for 1 hour.

My directions:


Mix ingredients except for the onions together to
distribute the oats and other ingredients evenly.


Mix with a wooden spoon and/or your hands.


Divide mixture in half using two loaf pans. 

Add chopped onion to one of the "halves".


Press mixture in loaf pans.


Mix sauce ingredients, divide evenly
and spread over mixture.


Bake 45 minutes.

Mine....


My husbands....













We both were able to enjoy a delicious meatloaf for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment