Wednesday, February 15, 2017

FRUITY OATMEAL

When I woke up yesterday morning (Valentine's Day), I felt like doing something special for breakfast instead of the same-o-same-o. I thought about making some muffins, but couldn't find anything that looked exciting. What I did find and decided to make was this Fruity Oatmeal. 

I know what you are thinking....what's exciting about oatmeal. Really? Well, the addition of apples and dates were different from my plain oatmeal I usually make in the microwave. So I figured it had to be an improvement.

And it was! I will definitely be making it again.

The recipe was in a new cookbook I bought last Friday when Friend Janice and I went to a few estate sales. It was a Better Homes and Garden cookbook called Eat Healthy Lose Weight. It said each serving had 140 calories. I drink my milk and do not add it to my oatmeal. 


FRUITY OATMEAL

2       cups water
1/4    teaspoon salt
1        cup rolled oats (I did use Old Fashioned Oats)
1        cup chopped apple or chopped peeled peach (I used a Fuji apple)
1/4    cup raisins or snipped whole pitted dates (I chopped whole pitted dates)
1         teaspoon vanilla
1/4     teaspoon cinnamon

In a medium saucepan, bring the water and salt to a boil.

Stir in the rest of the ingredients.


Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes (if you use quick oats) or 5 minutes (for regular oats), stirring occasionally.


Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes before serving.



If desired, serve with fat-free milk.


Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment