Monday, January 16, 2017

SATURDAY MORNING WAFFLES

I know the name of these waffles are Saturday Morning Waffles, but don't let that keep you from making them any morning you like. I certainly didn't let it keep me from making them yesterday morning (Sunday).

Normally we would be at church and Sunday school and then going to eat at Roxanne's Cafe, our go-to eating place on Sundays. January has not been normal though. Besides getting a sinus infection that I think has healed but am still having lingering issues, our weather seems to be getting in a pattern of a few-days-cold and then a few-days-warmer. We had some snow during some of the few-days-cold earlier in the month, but then it melted easily during the few-days-warmer. Then ice this weekend during our few-days-cold. Fortunately we didn't have as much ice in the Northland as the weathermen predicted, but enough that we couldn't get out of our driveway Saturday or Sunday mornings early. Good to be retired!

Because of the icy weather prediction our church decided to have the Saturday night 5:00 service but cancel the three services on Sunday morning. (Gosh, the NFL even rescheduled the playoff game between the Chiefs and the Steelers until Sunday evening because it was supposed to warm up and the ice melt as the day progressed.) Going Saturday night meant we were home Sunday morning though. I couldn't believe I slept til 9 and my husband slept even later. (He has been dealing with an ear problem this month.) He always says he needed to sleep late when he sleeps late so I guess I will say I needed the rest.

When I finally got around to fixing something for breakfast, my husband had already had his yogurt and said he wasn't hungry. I decided I was going to go on and make the waffles anyway. I told him he could eat some later.

I got out all of the ingredients and decided I would cook myself a couple of pieces of bacon while I made the waffles. Just about the time the bacon was cooked, my husband walked upstairs to the kitchen and said, laughing, "You know what they say - there is something about bacon cooking that makes you hungry even if you don't think you are." I cooked him two pieces and he ate them and a waffle with me. He even added the cherry pie filling after telling me he would just butter his waffle. (He probably wouldn't have though if it had been a no-sugar-added cherry pie filling.)

The recipe will make 5 waffles. If you don't want that many, just cut the ingredients in half.



SATURDAY MORNING WAFFLES

2       cups flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
6       teaspoons baking powder
1        teaspoon salt
1/4    cup sugar (I used just 2 tablespoons truvia baking blend)
2       cups milk (skim milk is fine)
2       eggs
1/3    cup oil

Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. 

Whisk together the milk, eggs, and oil til well blended.

Add the flour mixture to the milk mixture and whisk together til well blended.

Spray waffle iron and preheat.

Fill iron and cook til done.

Butter and serve.


We had some no-sugar-added cherry pie filling that we topped our waffles with. Could have added some whipped topping, but it was all frozen.

Don't you just hate for the batter to run out when you bake waffles? I do, but...


waffle turned out okay.


I tried putting less in the iron, but then I had holes in the waffle.

I finally decided if you want a perfect -no-hole waffle, you just live with the batter running over.

The iron will clean up nicely anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment