Tuesday, January 3, 2017

CROCHET LACY SCARF

I got off to an early start this year making a scarf since I didn't make my grandchildren any. I guess I got in the mood when I decided to make them the crochet candy cane stockings. (See picture below.) I also made some darling snowman gift card holders that can hang on the tree (I need to write up a post for them. They were really cute and the grandkids all liked them.)

I picked up a couple of those free instruction sheets in the yarn section of a store and one of them was for a crochet lacy scarf. I rarely crochet scarves. Not sure why. I just usually knit them. I know I have had the instructions before to make a scarf that I liked the looks of but they crochet it horizontally and you have to chain a gazillion to start which I do not enjoy doing. 

This one was especially easy after I was able to see the pattern. (Not a good idea for me to start a project and watch television at the same time. I had to take out and almost start over a number of times. I took a few pictures for visuals just in case you are like me.) I didn't use the size needle the directions called for. I think I have a crochet hook size N but I couldn't find it. I used my size K and was happy with the gauge. It will certainly make a larger "lace" with the N.




CROCHET LACY SCARF

Size N crochet hook. Anything from a size K up will work - just depends on the size you want your scarf.

Chain 19

Row 1: Dc in 5th ch from hook (first 4 skipped chs make turning ch-sp),  *(dc, ch 3, dc) in next ch, skip next ch, dc in next 2 ch; rep from * across to last ch, dc in last ch - 3 pattern reps at the end of this row.

Row 2: Ch 4 (for turning ch-sp), turn, *(3 dc, ch 3, dc) in next ch-3 sp; rep from * across to turning ch-sp, 3 dc in turning ch-sp.

Rep last row until almost all the yarn has been used (or the scarf is the size you want it)

Weave in ends to finish.

You may not be like me but as I was into the pattern, I felt like the ch 4 was the end of the row. It is actually the beginning of the row. At first I found myself ch 4 when I was finished and ready to cut the yarn and weave in the ends. That's when it really hit me that the ch 4, turn was the beginning of the row and that the row ended with the 3 dc in the turning ch 4 from the previous row.


3 dc,ch 3, dc in ch 3 sp from previous row
(Slide the 3 dc to right in the ch 3 sp to get the diagonal look.)


The first dc in the turning ch-sp

The second dc in the turning ch-sp

The 3rd dc in the turning ch and then the ch 4 to start the next row. You can see the 3 pattern repeats (3 dc, ch 3, dc) 
The finished size of my scarf using the crochet hook size K was almost 6 x 68 - inches. If you used the recommended size N, the directions said make the scarf 9 x 76 - inches.

Here are some pictures of the crochet candy cane stockings I made for my grandchildren.



No comments:

Post a Comment