Thursday, December 29, 2016

TRUSTY APPLE DESSERT

Gracia Schlabach said this dessert is delicious with ice cream. That is certainly true....especially the Salted Caramel Craze variety.

I didn't think that I would be making this dessert with my two granddaughters, Hallie and Sadie, for our early celebration of Sadie's birthday, but that is just what I did.

The recipe is in Kevin Williams' book Amish Cooks Across America. Kevin from Amish365.com and I collaborated earlier this year when his second daughter was born. He asked me to prepare a week of posts of Amish recipes that he could post daily and have some bonding time with the new addition to the family. As a thank you, he sent me a copy of his book. It is full of recipes from Amish settlements all across America. What is also interesting is the narrative he tells about these settlements - how they differ and how they are alike. I was totally absorbed reading it. I would highly recommend the book if you are interested in learning more about the Amish and having a variety of their recipes.

I took a picture of the page before we left home to come have our Christmas with our older son and his family in CO in hopes that I would have time to make it while there.  What I didn't do is take note of what area of the country Gloria lives in. (I will go back and add that information after we get back home.)

My dil Sara didn't have a 9 x 9 - inch square baking dish so we used an 8 x 8 - inch one. That made the "cake" portion thicker than it was probably supposed to be. 


TRUSTY APPLE DESSERT

2         medium-size apples (Red Delicious or Gala), peeled and shredded
1          cup sugar
2         tablespoons butter, softened
2         cups all-purpose flour
1          cup milk
2         rounded teaspoons baking powder
1          tablespoon ground cinnamon
1          teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt

SYRUP

1-1/2   cups firmly packed brown sugar
1-1/2   cups water
2         tablespoons butter, melted
1          tablespoon imitation maple flavoring

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the shredded apples in the bottom of a 9 x 9 - inch baking pan. (Whatever variety of apple we used, it turned brown fairly quickly, but it didn't affect the taste.)

Combine the sugar, butter, flour, milk, baking powder, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix until smooth and well combined.

Pour the dough mixture on top of the grated apple. (The dough was too thick to "pour". We took two spoons each and dropped spoonful amounts over the apple and then smoothed them out.)

Make the syrup:

In another bowl, combine the brown sugar, water, butter, and maple flavoring. Pour the syrup mixture over the top of the dough.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until bubbly and the center is set.



Allow to cool a little before spooning out to serve.





I can't share this recipe without also sharing pictures of my beautiful granddaughter.

Sadie helped grate the apples.
Hallie stirred the "cake" batter.

The almost birthday girl enjoying her dessert.
I almost forgot to take a picture of mine with the ice cream....


No comments:

Post a Comment