Monday, December 19, 2016

GRANNY SMITH APPLE DESSERT

The first time I ate this dessert Friend Janice and I had been out doing our usual thing on Fridays - going to estate sales and we stopped by an old house-turned-restaurant called Sara's Kitchen in Kearney, MO. (I think someone suggested it at an estate sale we were at nearby. It has been over a year, at least and we have eaten at a lot of restaurants and gone to a lot of sales since then.

The waitress, I think, told us about the dessert when she brought the menus. It sounded so good, we decided to eat "light" so we would have room for the dessert. When our waitress came to take the order and we told her we were eating light so we would have room for the dessert - I think they called it apple dumplings. Anyway, she looked alarmed and said she thought there might be only 2 left. We insisted she go check. Fortunately for us, she came back and said there were only 2 left, but she had put them back for us.

Then I saw the recipe on Pinterest (We had asked our waitress how they were made because they were so good and she told us.), but I just never got around to making them. When I was trying to decide what to serve for the quilters  canasta group that was meeting at my house last Thursday, I saw it in my Amish Friends Cookbook - Desserts collected by Wanda E. Brunstetter. The recipe was contributed by Ida Marchand from Goshen, Indiana. (There was even a delicious full page picture.)

Generally speaking I followed her recipe - well close enough. I reduced the brown sugar to 3/4 cup and used a diet cherry 7-Up. I served it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and Friends Ellen, Fran, and Janice were almost speechless. It was just as good as I remembered.

GRANNY SMITH APPLE DESSERT

1        Granny Smith apple
1        tube crescent rolls
1        stick (1/2 cup) butter
1        cup packed brown sugar (I reduced it to 3/4 cup)
1        cup Mountain Dew (I used diet cherry 7-Up)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Peel and core apple. Cut into 8 slices. (This is really simple if you have an apple corer/cutter.)

Microwave slices 2 minutes on paper towel or bake in 250 degree F oven 5 to 6 minutes.
(I used my microwave.)

Wrap each apple slice in a crescent roll
and place in  an 8 x 8 - inch pan.

Melt butter and brown sugar. Do not boil.

Pour over rolls. (coat evenly)

Then pour cola over the mixture.

Bake 50 minutes or until golden brown and set.


Serve warm with a little whipped cream or ice cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment