Wednesday, November 23, 2016

OUR VACATION (PART 2) LIGHTHOUSES

What is it about lighthouses that fascinate people so much? When we went to Cape Cod and the Boston area last year, we drove and drove trying around trying to find lighthouses. It wasn't quite as difficult on this vacation trying to find them. 

One of the lighthouses we saw was the one on Tybee Island (Savannah's beach). I have quite a collection of models of lighthouses and several framed pictures including one large poster we bought years ago of the St. Augustine Lighthouse and later had it framed with a double mat for Christmas for my husband. I have towels that I used to have hanging in my bathroom when we lived in CA but am not using in our house here. I have a lighthouse lamp that again I am not using here. Remember when the post office had the stamps featuring lighthouses a number of years ago? We have a framed picture that has 5 different lighthouse stamps on it and then an 8 x 10 - inch picture of one of them. Guess which one it is? Yes, the Tybee Lighthouse.

I took a bunch of pictures (13 in fact) of it from several different views. This one is my favorite. It doesn't show the light keepers' houses. (I didn't put the apostrophe in the wrong place. It had the head keeper and two assistants until the lighthouse was converted to electricity in 1933.)  


Here it is from a different view...


The house in the front was the head keeper's house built in 1881.

The Tybee Lighthouse was built in 1773, being the third lighthouse that was built on Tybee. It burned in 1861 by the Confederates and then rebuilt in 1867 after the Civil War ended. The bottom 60 feet of the lighthouse are the original 1773 lighthouse and the top 85 feet were reconstructed in 1867. 

The lighthouse has 178 steps. My husband and I walked up 100 of them. It is actually an easy lighthouse to walk because after every 25 steps there is a landing (with a window to look out) that allows you to rest if you need to. We could have easily made the last 87 but we decided to stop. (My husband is not very fond of heights and he would not have wanted to walk out and around the lighthouse with me.)

Here are some pictures I took of the view from the 100th step...



We ate lunch at the North Beach Bar and Grill across the street. The food was very good. Its parking lot and access to the beach was closed because the island is using the lot to temporarily hold the debris collected around the island.

These four pictures show the amount of debris....




The blue trimmed building is the restaurant.
  On our way back to Savannah, we saw our second lighthouse - Cockspur Lighthouse. It is on its own little island and was closed to the public in 2015. We passed by it twice but I wasn't able to get a picture of it (and it would have been a good one as you see it as you cross the bridge). The reason I wasn't able to take as many pictures as I usually do is my phone was tied up with a navigational system for the car. Our rental car contained an app (Android Auto) that allowed us a navigational system in the car if my phone was hooked up to the car. That was really great since I am so used to the navigational system that came with my Ford Fusion. But it meant I could do absolutely nothing with my phone during this time. You can see and read about the Cockspur Lighthouse with the link above.

The only lighthouse on Hilton Head Island was the Harbor Town Lighthouse. I took pictures of it from two different views.



There are shops and restaurants in the harbor that you can spend several hours going through.

Our husbands found a place to rest as they grew tired of all the "shopping". We ate lunch at the restaurant in the background called The Crazy Crab. It was excellent; I would highly recommend it.


My husband wanted me to take a picture of him with the 18th hole of the Harbour Town Gold Links, one of the most distinguished PGA tour golf courses.


 We could see the flag for the 18th hole, but not in my picture. Will have to make sure I watch the tournament next year.

The last lighthouse I tried to see was on Hunting Island State Park which is east of Beaufort, SC. It was a little over an hour from our resort on Hilton Head Island. Even though we weren't able to see the lighthouse because the park is closed due to damage from Hurricane Matthew earlier in October, I am glad we went because we discovered the town of Beaufort and its historic district established in 1711. I tried to find a link that would show pictures of some of the beautiful antebellum architecture in Beaufort.  This one shows some with information about them.

This is all we could see of the lighthouse...


You can see and read about the lighthouse here. It sounds really fascinating. Hate that we missed it. We were told that the park will be back opened next spring. Guess we will just have to return to the area so we can see it.

Here are pictures of some other destruction caused by the hurricane... We saw these just before we crossed the bridge into Beaufort.




I have just a few more pictures of the island that I will share with you later this week. It is a beautiful place to vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment