Tuesday, November 29, 2016

HAM WITH CHERRY SAUCE

Yesterday I shared the baked macaroni and cheese I made for our Thanksgiving dinner we enjoyed Saturday night with our younger son and his family. (The grandkids, Madison and Tyler, requested mac 'n cheese.)

Our son requested ham for the entree. (They had turkey on Thursday when they celebrated with his wife's family.)  I had my husband pick out the ham when we went to the store; he chose a fully cooked bone-in butt ham that looked pretty good.

I knew I had a really good recipe that I shared several years ago that my friend Jane made and served at a dinner group, but I really wanted to find another one to give you a second option. I looked through quite a few cookbooks until I found this Ham with Cherry Sauce recipe in Taste of Home's 2006 Annual Recipes cookbook.

It turned out so good. Everyone kept telling me how good everything tasted. (We are enjoying leftover ham sandwiches and just sliced ham with the leftover cherry sauce, too. I am going to freeze some slices to add to beans and other dishes.)



HAM WITH CHERRY SAUCE

1         fully cooked bone-in ham - 6 to 8 lbs (My ham was 8.95 lbs)
1         cup packed brown sugar
4        tablespoons maple syrup (Add more if you think you need it)
1         teaspoon ground mustard
1/2     cup sugar
3        tablespoons cornstarch
1         cup cold water
1         can (16 - ounces) pitted dark sweet cherries, undrained
2        tablespoons lemon juice
1         teaspoon almond extract

Place ham in a roasting pan on a rack to keep it off the bottom of the pan. (I used my wire rack that I cool my cookies and other baked goods on.)


Score the surface of the ham with shallow diagonal cuts, making diamond shapes.




Combine the brown sugar, maple syrup, and dry mustard in a small bowl.


Rub over ham.






Cover with heavy duty foil and bake at 325 degrees F. for 1 - 2-1/2 hours (the ham should recommend how long to bake the ham to heat) or until meat thermometer reads 140 degrees F and ham is heated through.



For cherry sauce: 

Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and water until smooth in a medium saucepan.


Add cherries.
Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. (I didn't take this long as it thickened fairly quickly.)


Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice and almond extract.



Serve with ham.


My husband did a super job picking out the ham.


No comments:

Post a Comment