Monday, November 14, 2016

BABY CRANBERRY SCONES

Last Thursday afternoon I hosted the monthly gathering of our Northland New Neighbors' League's Mexican Train small group. Since I know at least two of the regulars do not eat any lunch before they come, I decided to provide a light lunch. I actually prefer this over buying lots of snacks that I end up eating because of leftovers.

This week I will be sharing recipes for three of the foods I prepared; Walnut Chicken Salad, Baby Cranberry Scones, and Apple Nut Bread Pudding. I also had some of the Fancy Gorp leftover from the previous week that I prepared for the Quilters' Canasta group. It is so good; it just make so much - 2 quarts. Glad it keeps well in an airtight container though.

I am going to start the week off with the Baby Cranberry Scones. These have to be the best scones I have ever made. They were so cute and little. They were just perfect with the Walnut Chicken Salad.

I found the recipe in my Mary Engelbreit's Let's Party Cookbook.



BABY CRANBERRY SCONES

2       cups all-purpose lour
1/3    cup sugar
1        tablespoon baking powder
1/2    teaspoon salt
1/2    cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut in very narrow slices
3/4   cup fat-free half and half, + 1 tablespoon for brushing
1/2    cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease and flour a large baking sheet.


In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.


With a pastry blender, 2 knives, or your fingertips, cut in the butter until the pieces of butter are no larger than tiny peas.
[TIP! I was in a hurry and instead of using my fingers (my personal choice), using the paddle attachment on my electric mixer, I achieved the end result, by "beating" the mixture for a minute or two.]


With a fork, stir in the half and half just until a shaggy dough forms (all of the flour mixture is absorbed).


Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface
and knead a few times. Flatten to about an inch thick
and dump cranberries on top. 





Knead the dough a few times to distribute the cranberries. 

Pat dough to about 1/4 - inch or so thick.

Cut as many "scones" as possible using a 1-1/2 - inch round biscuit cutter. Rework the scraps and finish cutting scones until the dough is used up. (As I said I was in a hurry and forgot to take pictures of the last few steps. Sorry.)


Place the scones on the cookie sheet about 1-1/2 inches apart.


Pat or brush the tops with the extra half and half. (I just patted a little on each scone with my fingers.)



Bake for 13 - 15 minutes, or until golden brown. (I didn't take a picture here either, but I do have one when I was serving them.)



Serve warm or let cool to room temperature. The best way to serve them warm is to place a light "towel" in a basket, place the biscuits or scones on the "towel", and then bring the excess "towel" over the edges to cover the biscuits or scones. This will keep them nice and warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment