Wednesday, November 16, 2016

APPLE-NUT BREAD PUDDING

This week I have been sharing recipes I made and served my Mexican Train friends last Thursday. I hope you checked out the Baby Cranberry Scones and the Walnut-Chicken Salad. Today I am sharing the dessert I served - Apple-Nut Bread Pudding.

Besides it tasting really great, it was the perfect dessert to serve because I prepared it about an hour and a half before the ladies arrived and it cooked in my slow cooker until the middle of the afternoon when we were ready to enjoy dessert.

Friend Carol said she loved it because it wasn't as sweet as most bread puddings. I used one of Friend Sue's giant granny smith apples that she had given me earlier and the apple chunks were still a little crunchy which everyone loved.

The recipe suggested serving it with ice cream, but everyone said it was perfect the way I served it.



APPLE-NUT BREAD PUDDING

8       slices cinnamon-raisin bread, cubed
2       medium, tart apples, peeled, and sliced (I used 1 giant granny smith apple, peeled, sliced, and then chopped)
1        cup chopped pecans
1        cup sugar
1        teaspoon cinnamon
1/2    teaspoon nutmeg
3       large eggs, lightly beaten
2       cups half & half cream (I used fat free half & half)
1/4    cup apple cider or apple juice (I did use the cider)
1/4    cup butter, melted


Place bread cubes, apples, and pecans in greased 3 quart slow cooker.
 (I combined the ingredients first in a large bowl.)



In another bowl, combine the sugar and spices.

Beat the eggs in a bowl
and then add the cream, apple cider or juice, and butter. Mix well.


Add egg mixture to the sugar mixture; mix well.


Pour over the bread mixture making sure you cover all of the mixture as the liquid is not enough to completely cover the mixture.


Cover and cook on low 3 - 4 hours or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. (We got busy playing our game and mine cooked about 4-1/2 hours. Nice things about using a slow cooker.)




Serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment