Wednesday, October 5, 2016

TETRAZZINI

After spending several days in CO with our older son and his family, it is always hard coming home and having to get back to reality. Now I have to make decisions as to what to fix for lunch and dinner. Lunch is always hard for me. Dinner can be easier as long as I have ideas. I really like my menu planning, but it seems to be harder for me to do as I get older. I never know when my husband might want to go out to eat (at the last minute) or I don't want to cook afterall.

For dinner last night I decided to search through my recipe box for recipe ideas using chicken. It didn't take long for me to find an old recipe for tetrazzini that my cousin Marie gave me years, and years ago. She just left it titled Tetrazzini and listed to use ham, turkey, or chicken. 



TETRAZZINI

2       tablespoons chopped onion
1        tablespoon butter
1        can cream of mushroom soup
1/2    cup water
1/2    cup cheddar cheese soup (I used Velvetta cheese)
1        tablespoon cooking sherry (optional)
1        cup diced ham, chicken, or turkey (I used 1-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken)
2       tablespoons chopped pimento
1        tablespoon chopped parsley
2       cups cooked spaghetti
buttered bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 2-quart casserole dish.

Cook spaghetti according to directions on package. Drain.


Meanwhile, in a saucepan, cook onion in butter until tender. Blend in soup, water, cheese, and sherry (if using).
(I used Velvetta cheese instead of the cheese soup and cut a slice an inch thick and added it to the mixture.
As it melted, I decided it needed more cheese and added another 1 - inch slice. You can really make it as cheesy as you like.)


Cook over low heat until cheese melts; stirring now and then.


Remove from heat. Add cooked spaghetti, meat, pimento, and parsley.

Stir until well blended.


Place in casserole and
top with buttered bread crumbs.
(I used 1/3 cup of my homemade breadcrumbs and 1 tablespoon melted butter mixed well.)


Bake for 20 minutes.






Thanks, Marie, for the recipe. My husband loved it and so did I. Sorry it took me so long to finally make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment