Monday, October 31, 2016

GLORIA YODER'S CRUMBLE DESSERT

Everybody loves a good fruit crumble dessert. I saw this recipe for Gloria Yoder's Crumble Dessert on Kevin Williams' Amish365.com. There were two things I especially liked about it. One: you can use any flavor fruit pie filling and two: the recipe makes enough crumble for two different desserts. You can make one and store the rest of the crumble mix and have it ready to go when you are in a hurry. It only cooks for 30 minutes so it is really one of those things you can bake for drop-in guests.

For my first one I chose to use two cans of peach pie filling I had. 


Not sure what flavor I will use for the next one. If you have some homemade filling, that would taste good also.

I decided to use my whole wheat pastry flour instead of all-purpose flour. I also decided to reduce the brown sugar since I was using pie filling that contained enough sugar. (I often buy the no-sugar-added pie filling but the peach pie filling I used wasn't.) We didn't feel the sweetness of the dessert was hurt by making these changes.

Crumble mix:
3        cups quick oats
1         cup flour (I did use whole wheat pastry flour)
1-1/2  cups brown sugar (I used only 1 cup brown sugar)
2        teaspoons cinnamon
1-1/2  teaspoons salt

Mix completely and store in an airtight container/bag. (This picture is actually of the half I didn't use for the recipe. I wrote the instructions on the bag so that when I get ready to make another one, I won't have to look up the recipe.)



CRUMBLE DESSERT

2 to 2-1/4  cups crumble mix
6                tablespoons butter, softened
2               cans pie filling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine 2 to 2-1/4 cups of the above crumble mix with the butter. Mix with a fork until all mix is wet.

Spread the pie fillings in the bottom of a 9 x 9 - inch baking dish. (I used my 8 x 10-1/2 - inch rectangular dish.)



Sprinkle crumble mixture evenly over the pie filling.



Bake in oven for 30 minutes. 



Serve warm or cold.


No comments:

Post a Comment