Friday, October 21, 2016

AMISH PUMPKIN YUMMY DESSERT

Earlier this week I was sitting on my bed completely surrounded by my Amish cookbook looking for any recipe using pumpkin or apples. It didn't take long for me to settle on this one simply named Pumpkin Yummy Dessert. No specific credit was given to any of the recipes in the book from the community of Conewango Valley in New York. The cookbook is called Tasteful Treasures from the Horse and Buggy Country.

Yesterday at canasta, Friend Darlene asked me if I had a recipe on my blog using a can of pumpkin and had half a cake mix sprinkled on top. I laughed and told her I would be having one posted Friday but it used a whole cake mix and 3-1/2 cups of pumpkin. So you may find other recipes out there similar to this one but not quite the same. I think I have heard it called Pumpkin Pie Cake. That would be an appropriate name for it.

I made the dessert and took it to Hillcrest Thrift Shop on Tuesday. Volunteer Ellie told me it was one of the best desserts I had ever made and brought them. I have to agree. I left several pieces when I went home, but I also kept a few so we could enjoy it some more at home.


PUMPKIN YUMMY DESSERT

3-1/2       cups mashed pumpkin (I used canned pumpkin)
1/4           teaspoon salt
2              teaspoons cinnamon
1/2           teaspoon ginger
1/4           teaspoon nutmeg
1               cup brown sugar
3              eggs
1               can evaporated milk (12-ounces)
1               yellow cake mix
1/2           cup (1 stick) margarine, melted (I used butter)
1-2           cups nuts (I used 1 cup chopped pecans)
whipped topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan.

Combine pumpkin, salt, spices, brown sugar and eggs with a whisk until
completely blended.

Add the milk.
Again whisk until completely blended.

Pour into pan.

Whisk the cake mix in a large bowl to make sure lumps are broken up.
Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over the pumpkin mixture.

Pour the melted butter over the cake mix. 





Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle chopped nuts on top and bake another 20 minutes.

I actually sprinkled the nuts on top before baking it and simply baked it for 50 minutes.
(Worked fine.)

Allow to cool and cover. 

Cut into squares when ready to serve. (I made mine on Monday evening and served mine the next day.)
  

Top with whipped topping or
enjoy plain.


4 comments:

  1. Can a white cake mix be used instead of a yellow cake mix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I substitute cake mixes all the time. I use a spice cake mix often when using pumpkin, apples, and spices. Thanks for your question. Enjoy. Patricia

      Delete
  2. Hi, I made this recipe and can't figure out what I did wrong. After it was baked, there was still a lot of the powdered cake mix on top. So, although it tastes good, we're still eating a layer of powdered cake mix. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you had t his problem. Make sure you don't have any lumps in the cake mix. I made this 4 yrs ago. Sprinkling the nuts on early might help. Since I have also had the same problem with dry cake mix sprinkled on top, what I often do instead of poring melted butter on top, I thinly sliced the butter and lay the slices across the top. I can usually blanket the top with the butter slices. This always works better than pouring the melted butter on top. Try that next time. Hope these suggestions help. Patricia

      Delete