Wednesday, September 21, 2016

WATERGATE CAKE

Watergate Salad is one salad I do enjoy. I think it is Jeffrey, my older son's favorite salad. When I saw this recipe in Lia Wilson's Quick Fixes with Mixes cookbook for Watergate Cake I knew I had to give it a try. This cake reminds me of the Watergate Salad but as a cake instead.

I needed something fast and easy to make Monday night to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop yesterday because I forgot to make anything earlier in the day. Not sure where my mind was. (Probably on the colonoscopy I am having on Thursday and what I was going to eat that was low in fiber on the next two days. As you read this today, I am trying to forget about eating period. Looking forward to Thursday afternoon getting here.)

The cake is very moist. Some of the volunteers loved it and some wanted it sweeter. I did use a unsweetened coconut and sugar free pudding mix. My husband thought it was fine because we don't like really sweet things anyway. If you want it sweet, use ingredients that contain sugar.


WATERGATE CAKE

1       box white cake mix without pudding (I used a traditional vanilla cake mix)
1       package - 4 - serving size - pistachio flavor instant pudding mix (I used a sugar-free one)
1/2   cup oil
1/2   cup milk
4      eggs
1       (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice (This was 1 cup crushed pineapple and 3 tablespoons juice if you are using a larger can.)
1       cup marshmallows (I used the miniature ones)
1/2   cup chopped pecans
1/2   cup shredded coconut (I used unsweetened coconut)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 12- cup capacity Bundt pan.

In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, oil, milk, eggs, and pineapple.
Beat on low speed for 30 seconds to blend, then beat on medium for 2 minutes.

Gently stir in marshmallows, pecans, and coconut.
Stir til well blended.

Pour into pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until cake tests done.
Cool on wire rack in pan about 15 minutes.

Remove from pan and continue cooling on wire rack.

I stored the cake in a covered cake plate overnight and sifted a spoonful of powdered sugar over it the next morning before taking it to serve.



2 comments:

  1. The cake is beautiful! Looks yummy too ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete