Wednesday, September 14, 2016

TENDER PEACH SCONES

I know I shared a recipe from King Arthur Flour with you yesterday (still really enjoying it also), but I saw this recipe for Peach Scones when I saw the one for Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread and copied it down also. Since peaches are ripe in the grocery store right now, I had to give them a try last Saturday.

The recipe only used one nice sized peach but they were full of bite sized pieces of peach. I don't often make scones because, personally, they are often dry tasting and I don't enjoy them as much. BUT these are not dry and really quite delicious, hot or cold.



TENDER PEACH SCONES

2             cups flour
1/2          teaspoon salt
1/4          cup sugar
1/4 - 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, to taste (I used 1/2 teaspoon)
1              tablespoon baking powder
6             tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
2             large eggs
1/3          cup vanilla yogurt or sour cream (I used sour cream)
1/2          teaspoon almond extract
1              cup diced peach, peeled or not, fresh, frozen/thawed, or canned (I peeled one fresh peach)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper. (I did the latter)


In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, sugar, nutmeg, and baking powder. Work in the butter, using your fingers, a fork, or a pastry cutter.



In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt or sour cream, and the almond extract.


Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. (This made a fairly dry ball of dough)


Add the peaches, stirring just until everything is combined. This is a wet sticky dough.
(I had trouble when I added the diced pieces of peach. I ended up using my finger to evenly distribute the peach pieces in the dough.)


Drop the dough by 1/4 cupfuls or use a muffin scoop. My medium sized ice cream scoop (maybe it is also called a muffin scoop) worked perfectly. I did have 13 muffins instead of 12.


Sprinkle the scones with sugar, if desired.


Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until light golden brown. Since I used the parchment paper, I did bake mine for 25 minutes.


Allow to cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet. Serve warm if you like or at room temperature after cooling on a wire rack. Store at room temperature, wrapped or freeze for longer storage.



Great served with some homemade peach jam.....



No comments:

Post a Comment