Tuesday, September 6, 2016

PUMPKIN BARS

Occasionally I go in and "work" a shift on Saturday's at Hillcrest Thrift Shop. The first shift at the register was open last Saturday so I decided I would volunteer. I had a recipe I had found that I wanted to make and knew this would be a good time to make it and surprise the Saturday crew. They were very pleased and several volunteers made a point to tell me how good they were. I left the two pieces that were still in the pan when my shift was over. Hopefully Bob got in there to get one before someone else did. (Bob works on Tuesdays also so I wanted to make sure he got one.)

The recipe was in Dawn Hall's Down Home Cookin' Without the Down Home Fat cookbook.


PUMPKIN BARS

1       box super moist white cake mix with pudding in the mix
2      teaspoons cinnamon
1       teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2   cup brown sugar
1       cup pumpkin (from a can)

Mix all ingredients with blender until well mixed. Dough will be stiff.

Spread in a 9 x 13 - inch pan that has been sprayed with a non-fat cooking spray. Set aside.

Tip! Since dough is stiff, I drop the dough in spoonfuls over the bottom of the pan and then using a spoon or spatula, spread spoonfuls together to cover the bottom. Save a little in the bowl to use wherever you are short.

TOPPING:

1/2       cup quick cooking rolled oats
1/2       cup brown sugar
1           teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4       cup all-purpose flour
1/4       cup fat-free margarine (I used butter)

Stir margarine into all ingredients until well blended.

TIP! Cut butter in thin slices to make it easier to cut into dry ingredients. Don't worry if some of the pieces remain about pea size.

Sprinkle topping over dough in pan.


Bake in preheat 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Drizzle glaze over bars once they have cooled.





GLAZE

1/4       cup powdered sugar (I sifted the sugar first)
1/2       teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2-1/2 - 3 teaspoons milk

Combine til smooth. It doesn't make a lot, but is sufficient for bars.



No comments:

Post a Comment