Friday, September 23, 2016

OATMEAL COOKIES

I know I have been sharing a lot of cookie recipes lately, but I just think it's unforgivable if a cookie jar is empty. A cookie is just perfect sometimes when you just want a little bite of sweet. So many fewer calories than eating a piece of cake or pie. You know?!

My husband loves oatmeal cookies. Well, I do too. Anyway I was looking through a cookbook I have had since the early 90s called Recipes From Hope, Arkansas Birthplace of Bill Clinton. (I am from Arkansas also, just not Hope.) The recipe for Oatmeal Cookies was in the front section of family recipes, specifically Hillary Rodham Clinton's Favorite Recipes. I substituted craisins for the raisins.



OATMEAL COOKIES

1-1/4      cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/4         teaspoon baking soda
1/2         teaspoon cinnamon
1/2         teaspoon salt
1/2         cup soft butter or margarine (1 stick)
1             cup firmly packed (dark) brown sugar (I haven't seen dark brown sugar in the stores in a long time.)
1             egg
1/2         teaspoon vanilla
1             cup rolled oats
1/4         cup buttermilk
3/4        cup seedless raisins, chopped (I used craisins)
1/2         cup chopped pecans or walnuts (I did use walnuts this time.)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 2 cookie sheets.

Sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together. 

Cream butter with sugar thoroughly. 

Add egg and vanilla, beating until light.

Add flour and buttermilk alternately, beating until smooth. (I start and end with the flour mixture.)

Add oats. Mix well.

Add raisins and nuts.

Drop by teaspoonful and space about 2 inches apart. (I used my cookie scoop.)

Bake for about 12 minutes or until edges are brown. (10 minutes might be long enough.)

Cool on wire rack.





2 comments:

  1. The recipe sounds wonderful! Looks delicious too ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think you will be disappointed if you make them, Summer.

      Delete