Wednesday, September 7, 2016

HEARTY CHICKEN 'N' RICE SOUP

One thing that makes this blog so special to me and my husband is because of it I am trying recipe I would never have tried before. I am always on the lookout for something new and tasty to prepare. 

I made a chicken chowder a couple of weeks ago from a recipe in Wanda E. Brunstetter's The Best of Amish Friends Cookbook Collection. That was the first time I have ever made a "chowder" and I loved it. On the next page was a recipe with a picture  for a chicken and rice soup. At the time, I had a hard time trying to decide which soup to make first. 

Well, I finally got around to making the chicken and rice soup Monday. I love it, too. I have never made a soup before that had cheese added to it. It definitely deserves the word "hearty" in it. 

Notes regarding changes I made:

**I made it, what I consider more healthy by using brown rice for the uncooked rice. I had to add time to the cooking so that the rice was done. Just remember that if you also choose to use brown rice. 

**The recipe calls for 3/4 pound of processed cheese and I chose to use 3/4 cup which was probably not quite 3/4 lb but it made measuring it easy. 

**I also added more chicken. I actually added more than I realized I was adding because I thought the recipe called for 2 cups of cooked chicken and my chicken breast was so large that it ended up making about 2-1/2 cups shredded chicken. Since I thought the recipe called for 2 cups, I figured 1/2 cup more was okay. Later I realized the recipe had called for only 1-1/2 cups. I had plenty of liquid with mine, so if you want to use more chicken, I would say, "Go for it!" 

**The other change I made was with the chicken broth. I make my own broth using chicken bouillon cubes. Since you use 1 cup of water for each cube, I decided to make 2 cups of broth and reduce the cold water to 2-1/2 cups. I will share the recipe as it was presented in the cookbook with my changes on the side.



HEARTY CHICKEN 'N' RICE SOUP

1-1/2       cups chicken broth (2 cups)
3             cups cold water (2-1/2 cups)
1/2          cup uncooked rice
1/2          cup diced carrots
1/2          cup diced celery
3/4         pound processed cheese, cubed (3/4 cup Velveeta cheese)
1-1/2      cups diced cooked chicken (2-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken)

In a pot combine the broth, water, rice, carrots, and celery and bring to a boil. 




Cover and simmer for 25 minutes (40 minutes if using brown rice).




Add chicken and cheese and stir until cheese is melted.




Serve warm.





No comments:

Post a Comment