Friday, September 2, 2016

HARVEST COOKIES

When we entertained our grandchildren at their house the other night, my husband picked a few apples from an apple tree they have in their yard. Sunday afternoon while my husband was enjoying a golf game with our son and two of his friends, I decided I would make something with the apples. I also wanted to treat myself to a Hallmark movie or two that I had recorded. I saw our new neighbors next door and went over to visit with them for a few minutes. Sean immediately told me how much they liked the last cookies I had brought over. I told them I was going to see what I could find to make and would bring some over to them later.

These Harvest Cookies recipe was in Dawn Hall's Down Home Cookin' Without the Down Home Fat cookbook. You might notice that these cookies have no oil and uses egg whites (I just substituted whole eggs for the whites) and uses whole wheat flour. She also used Nutra Sweet Spoonful for the sugar. I am not familar with that. I used my truvia baking blend which reduced the sugar calories in my cookies.



HARVEST COOKIES

1/2       teaspoon vanilla
1/4       cup applesauce (I used unsweetened applesauce)
3/4      cup brown sugar
1/2       cup sugar (I used 1/4 cup truvia baking blend)
2          eggs or 4 egg whites
2          cups whole wheat flour
1           teaspoon baking soda
1/2       teaspoon salt
1           teaspoon cinnamon
1/2       teaspoon ground cloves or nutmeg (I used nutmeg)
1/2       cup chopped nuts
1           cup peeled and chopped apples

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.


Beat eggs or egg whites until foamy.
Add sugars, applesauce, and vanilla.
Stir in baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ground cloves or nutmeg until well mixed.
Stir in whole wheat flour, one cup at a time.
Mix until well blended.
Stir in chopped apples and nuts.



Drop cookie dough by teaspoonfuls or cookie scoops about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
Bake for about 6 minutes - until bottoms are golden brown.


Allow to cool about a minute on cookie sheets before removing to finish cooling on wire racks.



To print this recipe, there should  be a print icon at the bottom of this post. If you do not see it, scroll up and click on the title of the post. You will be taken to just the one post and the print icon will be the first icon on the bar. When the print window opens, you will have the option to remove the images.

No comments:

Post a Comment