Monday, August 29, 2016

SPICY APPLE CRUMB CAKE

Even though fall is still a month away, when I saw Lia Wilson's  Apple Crumb Cake in her Quick Fixes with Mixes cookbook, I knew it would be perfect for the volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop. If you have visited my blog before, you know I don't think twice about changing a recipe and making it more my own. That is exactly what I did with this one. 

Well, the volunteers did love it. (I've made enough treats for them, I think I know what they like - which is everything if I am honest, but I like to think I know them well.) I told them how I had changed the recipe from Lia's yellow cake mix and Donna said, "I bet a carrot cake cake mix would taste good." You know, I agree with Donna.

SPICY APPLE CRUMB CAKE

1       spice cake mix (a carrot cake cake mix would be good)
1       20 ounce can apple pie filling (I used a no-sugar-added apple pie filling)
1/2   cup flour
1/2   cup packed brown sugar
1/2   teaspoon cinnamon
1/4   cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2   cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan.


Prepare cake mix as directed on package, except substitute milk for the water (for better consistency).
Pour batter into pan.
Drop pie filling by spoonfuls evenly over cake batter. Do Not Stir.
Using a knife I cut the apple slices into smaller pieces in the can.


In a medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Stir until blended. 


Add butter and stir to combine. Add nuts.


Sprinkle over cake batter and apples.


Bake 1 hour.


Cool and drizzle with powdered sugar icing.







POWDERED SUGAR ICING

1       cup powdered sugar (sifted)
4      teaspoons warm water

In small bowl, stir water into powdered sugar until mixture is smooth.

The apple pie filling does settle on the bottom with the brown sugar mixture throughout. By cutting up the apple slices first, it gives a good coverage or base however you want to think about it.



To print this recipe, there should  be a print icon at the bottom of this post. If you do not see it, scroll up and click on the title of the post. You will be taken to just the one post and the print icon will be the first icon on the bar. When the print window opens, you will have the option to remove the images.

No comments:

Post a Comment