Tuesday, August 9, 2016

DAY 2, AMISH WEEK - HAWAIIAN BREAD

Welcome back for Day 2 of Amish Week. 

Yesterday I shared a delicious Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken Corn Soup. It was the best soup ever.

Today you are in for a treat - a Hawaiian Bread treat. It was certainly a treat for my husband. He ate three slices the first day and that was before I told him I had used unsweetened coconut and further reduced the calories by using truvia baking blend (stevia/sugar blend). Of course if you aren't counting calories, use sweetened coconut and regular sugar. The recipe also said it made 3 loaves but didn't say what size. I used 9 x 5 - inch loaf pans and the recipe made 2. You would definitely get more if you used smaller loaf pans. Personally I would recommend making it in smaller loaf pans and just freeze the extra ones.

I found the recipe the last time we visited our older son and his family in CO. Dil Sara had a new cookbook called The Amish Baking Cookbook, Plainly Delicious Recipes from Oven to Table by Georgia Varozzo and Kathleen Kerr. I actually found a number of recipes that I will be trying.



HAWAIIAN BREAD

1         20 - ounce can crushed pineapple, undrained
1         10 - ounce pkg. coconut (I did use unsweetened coconut)
4        eggs
1-1/2  cup sugar (I used 3/4 cup truvia baking blend)
4        cups flour
2        teaspoons salt
2        teaspoons baking soda

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease loaf pans. (I made two 9 x 5 - inch loaves.)


Mix together pineapple and coconut in a large mixing bowl with a (wooden) spoon.


Add sugar. Mix well.


Add beaten eggs. Mix well.






Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda in a different bowl.


Add to pineapple mixture and mix well.
(I ended up dumping the mixture into another big bowl to make sure I had it mixed up completely.)


Divide batter between loaf pans.


Bake for 1 hour for large loaves.

Cool ten minutes in pans on wire rack.


Remove to finish cooling. Wrap in foil to keep moist.




To print this recipe, there should  be a print icon at the bottom of this post. If you do not see it, scroll up and click on the title of the post. You will be taken to just the one post and the print icon will be the first icon on the bar. When the print window opens, you will have the option to remove the images.

No comments:

Post a Comment