Tuesday, July 26, 2016

SOUR CREAM LEMON PIE

Gary Schulte of Broadway, Virginia contributed this Sour Cream Lemon Pie in Phyllis Pellman Good and Kate Good's cookbook called Mennonite Recipes from the Shenandoah Valley. Gary says it is one of the special pies he likes to make and share for the family's Thanksgiving. Isn't it interesting how we have family favorites that we always serve at holidays? The gathering just wouldn't be the same without the dishes.

I chose to make the pie because it sounded so easy. Canasta was meeting at friend Fran's house and I always make the dessert since Fran doesn't do a lot of cooking anymore. (It gives me another good opportunity to make and share a dessert for this blog and besides I love to bake.) Well, it was certainly well received by the ladies. My husband couldn't say enough good things about it when I brought home the last piece for him. Guess I will have to make it again.

It called for a baked pie crust. I thought it sounded like a good pie for a graham cracker crust. So that is what I did. (I finally found a ready-made graham cracker crust that doesn't have high fructose corn syrup. It was also a 10-inch one which was perfect for the pie. I'm not sure it would have all fit in a 9-inch one.)


SOUR CREAM LEMON PIE

1          cup sugar
3-1/2  tablespoons cornstarch
1          tablespoon  lemon rind, grated (I used lemon peel)
1/2      cup fresh lemon juice (I used bottled lemon juice)
3         egg yolks, beaten
1          cup milk
1/4      cup butter (half a stick)
1          cup sour cream (I used light sour cream)
9"        baked pie crust (I used a 10" graham cracker crust)
whipped cream (I used an 8 - ounce carton of sugar free whipped topping)


In a saucepan, mix together sugar, cornstarch, and lemon rind. Add lemon juice, egg yolks, and milk.
Stir well.
Cook over medium heat until thickened. (I constantly stirred it with a whisk.)


Remove from heat and add butter.
Stir until melted.


Cool mixture to room temperature.


Stir in the sour cream.


Pour into pie crust.


Cover with whipped topping. 

Cover and store in refrigerator til ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment