Monday, July 4, 2016

MR. McBEEVEE'S MAKE-AHEAD BREAKFAST

I have to admit I don't know who Mr. McBeevee was on The Andy Griffith Show. Even though the recipe belonged to Mrs. Frank Brower from Asheboro, NC she gave his name to the dish in Aunt Bee's Mayberry Cookbook that I got at an estate sale. (I saw the cookbook for sale in a number of different places in Williamsburg and the area when we vacationed there in May.)

I thought I would make it for us (I know it makes a lot) and then we could enjoy it for breakfast for the week. I do get tired of cereal or yogurt every morning for breakfast. It would be great if you had company staying or needed to take a dish to a morning coffee.

It turned out as pretty as it tasted. (My husband did have to get out several different hot sauces to give it an extra kick.)



MR. MCBEEVVEE'S MAKE-AHEAD BREAKFAST

1       pound hot sausage
6      slices of bread, cubed (I used 7 because I used cinnamon raisin bread and the slices are smaller)
1       cup grated cheese
6      eggs
2      cups milk
1       teaspoon salt
1       teaspoon mustard


In a skillet crumble and cook the sausage until browned. Drain.


Cut the bread slices into cubes.
Grease (or spray) a 9 x 13 - inch pyrex pan and line the bottom with the cubed bread.


Top with the sausage
and cheese.
In a bowl combine the eggs, milk, and seasonings. Beat well (I beat the eggs first together and then added other ingredients)
and pour over the layers in the pan.
Cover and refrigerate over night.







The next morning.....

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Uncover
and bake for 30 minutes. 





Cut into squares to serve.

Serves 6 to 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment