Wednesday, July 27, 2016

GERMAN'S SWEET CHOCOLATE PIES

We have new neighbors...Sean, 22, Wyatt, 23, and Jeff, 25. How exciting is that? Sean describes them as computer nerds and offered to help me out with any computer problem I might have. I told them about my blog and that I hoped they would be willing to be "taste testers" for me.

This German's Sweet Chocolate Pie is the first thing I took them. The recipe made two pies so that meant I could try it out before I took them one. I cut corners on the sugar (as I so often do) and so it wasn't real sweet. I warned them but Sean said sometimes too much sugar is not good. (Can you believe it?) Anyway, if you like sweet, you might want to use regular sweetened coconut.

Linda M. Kreitz from Houston, TX said, "The first time I ever baked this pie, it was for the FFA Fair in 1972. It won for me a first place ribbon for Pies and a trophy for Grand Champion for all food. I still bake it for special occasions and hope you'll enjoy it also."


GERMAN'S SWEET CHOCOLATE PIES

4         ounces German's sweet chocolate
1/4      cup butter
1          (12 - ounce) can evaporated milk
1-1/2   cups sugar
3         tablespoons cornstarch
1/8      teaspoon salt
2         eggs
1          teaspoon vanilla
2         unbaked (8 - inch) pie shells (I used two 9 - inch graham cracker crusts. Might try the regular pie crusts next time.)
2         cups flaked coconut
1          cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the chocolate with butter in a small heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and stir til smooth and completely melted.

Stir the chocolate mixture into the milk in a medium sized bowl with a whisk; set aside.

Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a large bowl.
Add the eggs and vanilla, beating well.
Add the chocolate mixture gradually, stirring constantly.


Pour equal amounts of the filling into the pie shells.

Sprinkle with a mixture of the coconut and pecans.
(I mixed 1 cup of coconut and 1/2 cup of nuts together and
then sprinkled on one of the pies. Then mixed another batch to sprinkle on the other pie. I wanted to make sure I divided it evenly.
)


Bake for 45 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment