Friday, July 15, 2016

APPLE OATMEAL

I thought this recipe for Apple Oatmeal sounded like a fun change to our regular oatmeal for breakfast when I saw it in Dawn J. Ranck and Phyllis Pellman Good's Fix - It and Forget - It Cookbook , Feasting with your Slow Cooker. The recipe was credited to Frances B. Musser of Newmanstown, PA.

The only problem, if you want to call it a problem, was it cooked for 5 to 6 hours on Low in a slow cooker. The problem is I normally sleep longer than that....closer to 7 or 8 hours depending on how active I was the day before. 

Well, last Tuesday night when we stayed up late after visiting with our sons and their families, I decided it would be the perfect time to at least try it. If we liked it, the next time I would use a timer to start the cooker in the night.

Well, I think it was a success. My husband made a point of telling me it was good. Sometimes I have to ask what he thought of whatever I had made, but this time, he volunteered and told me he liked it and that it tasted good with his plain Greek yogurt.

I turned it on before we went to bed around midnight and set my alarm for 6 o'clock. I planned to get up and turn it down to the Keep Warm setting on my slow cooker. The alarm went off but I had been awake for an hour. My husband also had been awake and so we got up early and he was ready to try it.




APPLE OATMEAL

2       cups milk
2       tablespoons honey (I omitted because I didn't have any.)
1        tablespoon butter (no substitute!) (Message from Frances) (I melted it in the microwave before adding to slow cooker.)
1/4    teaspoon salt
1/2    teaspoon cinnamon
1        cup dry old-fashioned oats
1        cup chopped apples (1 apple)
1/2    cup chopped walnuts
2       tablespoons brown sugar (I used 2 tablespoons of truvia brown sugar blend since I didn't have the honey.)


Mix together all the ingredients in greased slow cooker. (I sprayed my 3 - quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.)

Cover and cook on Low 5 - 6 hours. (I did have mine on Keep Warm for about 30 minutes before we ate it.)



Serve warm with milk or ice cream. Yogurt is great also. I ate mine plain.



No comments:

Post a Comment