Wednesday, June 22, 2016

CHOCOLATE CHERRY DELIGHT SPOON DESSERT

Last week I tried this Spiced Fruity Spoon Cake from a new cookbook (for me) that I had found at an estate sale called Busy People's Slow Cooker Cookbook by Dawn Hall. All of the recipes have 7 or less ingredients. That really isn't why I am so excited about the cookbook though.

June has been unseasonably hot here in Kansas City. We had to get a new heater at the beginning of the year, and decided to go on and get a new A/C also (special deal if we got bought). It was a hard decision to make because our A/C worked fine. We were told the unit was too big for our house (which we knew it was a super big unit) and would be more economical if we had a unit designed for the size of our house. A little mind boggling, but we dived in and said okay. 

Well, I have to believe that the man knew what he was talking about. We are so happy with our new unit and it is so much more energy efficient. Still, I don't enjoy heating up the kitchen, but I have to cook. What would happen to my blog if I couldn't try different recipes to share with everyone.

That's why I am so excited about this cookbook. The other reason is the desserts generally cook in 2 hours. I can cook it while I am working my shift at the register when I go to Hillcrest Thrift Shop and it is ready for lunch when my shift is over. (I know I was talking about not heating up my kitchen, and I will eventually make one at home and not take to Hillcrest.) 

Yesterday was my usual day to go in to Hillcrest. Before I left home, I mixed up the cake mix with the cherry pie filling and almond extract and then dumped it in the slow cooker when I got to the shop. It smelled so good cooking. Customers would come in and want to know what was smelling so good.

It was a big hit with the volunteers also. I brought home a serving or 2 so my husband could see how good it was, too.



CHOCOLATE CHERRY DELIGHT SPOON DESSERT

1       (21-ounce) can cherry pie filling (no sugar added would work)
1       (18.25-ounce) box chocolate cake mix (I used a sugar free chocolate cake mix that is 16-ounces)
1       teaspoon almond extract

Preheat slow cooker on High for 10 minutes. (I used a 3-quart cooker)

Spray cooker with nonfat cooking spray.


In a mixing bowl, mix together the pie filling, cake mix, and almond extract stirring for 2 minutes. (I set my timer but you don't have to...it will take 2 minutes to completely get the ingredients mixed up.) The batter will be thick.



Pour the batter into the prepared cooker. Smooth it out on top with spoon.



Do not put the lid on tightly. Leave about a 1/4 inch crack so that the steam can escape.



Cook on High for 2 hours.



Serve warm using a big spoon.



While it was delicious just like it was out of the cooker, I couldn't help but think how good a scoop of ice cream would taste with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment