Tuesday, June 14, 2016

APPLE HARVEST SQUARES

I wonder if I will ever run out of desserts to make to share with the volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop? Probably not. I could always repeat a dessert but then what would I put on my blog.

When I made this Apple Harvest Squares, Dana asked me if it were on my blog. I told her I had to wait to see what my test tasters had to say first. They love being my test kitchen.

Well, it was another big hit. I told Dwayne what I  had brought when he came in with donations (he drives one of our trucks that goes out and collects donations) since he doesn't always go into the community room. He thanked me and when he came back by he told me, "Thanks for the dessert. I ate two pieces. It was really good."

I was a little concerned because the topping was a little crumbly. That didn't bother them at all, especially the taste. In my directions I suggested pressing down on the topping after it is sprinkled on. Maybe that would help. I also shared the mistakes I made with the sugar addition. I told some of the ladies and they said it tasted good just like it was.

It did taste really good.


APPLE HARVEST SQUARES

1-1/2       cups all-purpose flour
2/3         cup sugar, divided
3/4         teaspoon salt
1/2          cup butter or margarine
4             cups peeled and sliced Granny Smith apples
2            tablespoons lemon juice
1             teaspoon ground cinnamon
1-1/3      cups flaked coconut (I used organic unsweetened shredded coconut)
3/4        cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2         cup sugar
1/3         cup evaporated milk
1             egg, beaten
1             teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine flour, 1/3 cup sugar, and salt in a medium bowl; stir well. (I misread the recipe and put the whole 2/3 cup of sugar in this mixture - actually 1/3 cup sugar/stevia blend.)


Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. (I cut the butter into slices and did this using my mixer. Worked perfectly.)



Press mixture into an ungreased 9 x 13 - inch baking pan. Set aside.




Combine apples slices, 1/3 cup sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon and toss mixture gently. (I omitted the sugar since I had put it in the crust mixture.)


Spoon apple mixture over prepared crust.
Bake for 20 minutes or until apple is tender. Remove from oven.


Combine coconut and remaining ingredients; stir well.
Sprinkle coconut mixture evenly over apple slices, and bake an additional 25 minutes. (I didn't but next time I make this I will gently press the coconut mixture down after I have sprinkled it over the apples. Maybe this would help it not be so crumbly.)


Let cool in pan on a wire rack.
Cut into squares. 

No comments:

Post a Comment