Tuesday, April 19, 2016

PLATTE COUNTY PIE

This recipe called Platte County Pie was a favorite at Fannie's Restaurant in Platte City. I don't think the restaurant is still open which always makes me sad when local establishments close. The pie was really good though and I am sure it was a favorite dessert at the restaurant when it was in business. Since I originally shared this recipe, I have seen another local restaurant in the area, offering it. (Corner Cafe).

I took my friend Fran a large piece and she thought it was delicious!

I have to admit that I made this pie several weeks ago and just hadn't gotten around to sharing it with you until now. Since then I made a pie called Country Fair Pie that was an Amish recipe. The only difference was this one didn't contain butterscotch chips like the Amish pie and it called for the whipped cream topping. After eating the Country Fair Pie, I have to say, "I can't believe the difference the butterscotch chips made to the recipe. I wasn't aware the recipes were almost the same. The pies taste so different, too." I am going to go on and share this recipe with you for its historical value. You can check out the post for the Country Fair Pie and decide for yourself if you want to add the butterscotch chips or not. Either way, it is a delicious pie.




PLATTE COUNTY PIE

2       eggs
1/2    cup flour
1        cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup sugar/stevia blend)
1        stick of butter, melted
1        teaspoon vanilla
1        cup chopped walnuts
1        cup chocolate chips (I used 60% cacao dark chocolate - not as sweet)
1        unbaked pie shell (I used my 9 - inch pie plate)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.


Beat eggs.

Add flour, sugar, melted butter, and vanilla; beating well. Cool.


Add nuts and chocolate chips. 


Spread in unbaked pie shell.
Bake for 55 to 60 minutes.


Top with whipped cream to serve.

We liked it best when eating it later, to heat the serving in the microwave for about 15 seconds first. This heated the chocolate chips some.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. I love this kind of pie and didn’t have the recipe. Miss seeing you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss you also, Linda. I love this pie. Janice and I were talking about it yesterday at lunch and then it came up as a,memory on my Facebook page.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete