Wednesday, April 27, 2016

OPIE'S LEMONADE PIE

Almost three years ago we enjoyed a weeks stay in Myrtle Beach, SC and then stopped by to visit some of my husband's relatives in NC on the way back home. The morning we left my husband's cousin, I was looking at a road map and saw the town of Mount Airy, the hometown of Andy Griffith. Since it wasn't too far off the highway we were on, we decided to take a slight detour and visit the town. It was one of the added highlights to our trip. We even ate lunch at the Snappy Lunch. You can read more about it here.

Finding this cookbook at a recent estate sale, I had to buy it. It was called Aunt Bee's Mayberry Cookbook by Ken Beck and Jim Clark. In addition to the 300 recipes, the cookbook is "also chock-full of wonderful, rare photographs from "The Andy Griffith Show" and offers entertaining glimpses into "the friendly town." Many of the recipes are favorites from members of the show's cast and crew.

While there are several I want to try, this one caught my eye first. I made it for us to enjoy at Friend Fran's house when we met to play canasta. It was fabulous!

I plan to make it again in a few weeks when we are going on vacation again. Our resort will have a full kitchen and all of the ingredients can be bought and used for the pie. The leftover lemonade I can just mix up to drink. I hope to find a few more recipes like this that will be easy for me to make without lots of added ingredients that I won't have and won't want to buy for just a spoonful, etc.



OPIE'S LEMONADE PIE

1       8 - ounce carton Cool Whip
1       6 - ounce can frozen lemonade concentrate (I could only find the larger can now. Just measure out 6 ounces according to a glass measuring cup of the concentrate.) *(See note at the end of the post)
1       14 - ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1       9 - inch graham cracker crust


In a large bowl combine the Cool Whip, lemonade, and sweetened condensed milk, blending well.


Pour the mixture into the crust and chill until firm, about 2 hours. (I ended up putting mine in the freezer and took it out about 10 minutes before ready to serve it.)



*While on vacation, I bought the ingredients to make this pie so that we would have dessert to eat. When I was looking for the frozen lemonade, I couldn't find the brand I had used back home. Then I saw frozen limeade and immediately knew I wanted to try it. WELL, I like it even better with the frozen limeade. Just like with the frozen lemonade, I had to buy a can that was 12 ounces. I just measured out 6 ounces in a glass 1 - cup - measure. I can't call it Opie's Limeade Pie because he liked the lemonade, but you can just call it Limeade Pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment