Monday, April 18, 2016

O'HENRY BARS

When I was growing up my daddy had a service station and we lived in a house trailer (Now they call them mobile homes) next to it. I guess my favorite part of the station was the candy case in the office. I remember getting into trouble one day when I asked Mother if I could have a candy bar. Her response was, " No." Well, I really wanted that candy bar so resourceful me just went and asked my daddy since he hadn't heard Mother say I couldn't have one. Daddy's response was something like, "Do you think you need it?" to which my response was, "Yes."  I am sure you know where this story is headed. I got caught! Mother was not happy when she found me eating on the candy bar.

I tell this story because the recipe I am sharing today is called O'Henry Bars. Oh Henry was one of the candy bars Daddy sold in the candy case. Every time I saw the recipe from Mattthias & Naomi Mast in my The Farmhouse Kitchen, Amish Community Cooking from Greenville, PA, I was reminded of that candy case. 

Wednesday when I had my six-month-dental cleaning appointment, I decided to finally give them a try. I was also scheduled to go to Hillcrest Thrift Shop afterwards and even though the Wednesday volunteers aren't used to my bringing goodies when I work, I knew there would be enough to share with both places.


O'HENRY BARS

4-1/2      cups quick oats
1              cup brown sugar
1/2          teaspoon salt
1              cup butter
1/2          cup light corn syrup
1-3/4      cups chocolate chips
1/2          cup peanut butter
1              teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix the first three ingredients (oats, brown sugar, and salt) in a large bowl.

Add the butter and corn syrup and mix well again. (The recipe didn't say but I melted the butter in the microwave oven.)

Press mixture into a 9 x 13 - inch pan.

Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges start to bubble.

Cool slightly.

Melt chocolate chips and peanut butter. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
(I did this in the microwave. I heated the chips and peanut butter for 30 seconds on HIGH
and then stirred the mixture.
Returned it to the microwave and heated for 30 more seconds on HIGH and then stirred until it was smooth.)


Spread over the oatmeal mixture. (I let it cool about 30 minutes before doing this.)

Just one more look... (sorry just couldn't help it)
Cool before cutting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment