Wednesday, April 13, 2016

MOLASSES BAKED BEANS

Cindy, the Upstairs Manager at Hillcrest Thrift Shop, recently retired. She was the only "original" in management left since the shop opened 8 years ago. I think it was her idea to call it a "shop" instead of a "store". We had fun celebrating her retirement with her by over 200 people gathering for dinner at the shop. The management provided fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, bread, drinks, and a big sheet cake. Everyone else brought a covered dish. I was asked to bring baked beans because no one had offered to bring them.

I found what sounded like the perfect recipe to take in my Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes. I liked that I would be able to keep them warm and they would dry out (like so many truly baked beans do). I forgot to drain the canned beans so I had plenty of liquid. It didn't spoil the beans, I just had a slotted spoon to use to serve them. Next time I will drain at least 3 of the 4 cans.



MOLASSES BAKED BEANS

4        16 - ounce cans of baked beans, drained
1         8 - ounce can tomato sauce (I actually  use tomato juice)
3        strips bacon, cooked slightly
1/4     cup molasses
2        tablespoons vinegar
2        teaspoons dry mustard
1/4     teaspoon ground ginger
1/4     teaspoon pepper

Combine all ingredients (except bacon)in a 3-1/2 to 4 - quart slow cooker.  Place bacon on top.



Cover, and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours or on HIGH for 2-1/2 or 3 hours. (I cooked mine on HIGH for 1 hour and then reduced the temperature to LOW and cooked probably 3 - 4 hours. You can't overcook them. Reduce the temperature to Keep Warm if you have that option and aren't ready to serve.)




I enjoyed some leftovers by heating the beans and adding a helping of the barbecued hamburger I made and froze in individual servings. They were delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment