Monday, April 25, 2016

BANANA CAKE

Seems like whenever my husband finds me in the kitchen baking, he always asks, "Who are you making this for?" I guess I shouldn't be surprised since I do give most of what I bake away. I surprised him this time when I told him I was making it for us. (I wasn't completely honest since I did take four generous servings to my son and his family when we went to visit with them later that afternoon.)

Mary T. Reene from the St. James Women's Council in Cazenovia, New York did call it Banana Cake. It has the consistency more like bars though. But I guess it really doesn't matter what it call it. They were really good. I liked spreading the chips out to make a frosting. It was really pretty before but even after the cake cooled, the chips spread really nicely.



BANANA CAKE

1/2         cup margarine, softened
1             cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup sugar/stevia blend.)
2            eggs
1-1/2      cups all-purpose flour
1             teaspoon baking soda
1/4         cup sour cream
1             cup mashed bananas
1             teaspoon vanilla extract
1             cup (6 ounces) chocolate chips (I used 60% cacao dark chocolate chips)


Cream margarine;
gradually add sugar, beating well.
Add eggs, one at a time,
beating well after each addition.


Combine the flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix after each addition.


Stir in banana and vanilla.


Pour batter into a greased 9 - inch square baking pan.
Sprinkle chip over top (I didn't use the full 1 cup.)


Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.


You can serve the cake as it comes out of the oven - OR -
you can take a knife and spread the chips out over the top and
it will make a nice icing.



No comments:

Post a Comment