Tuesday, April 26, 2016

APPLE WALNUT COBBLER

Today's recipe for Apple Walnut Cobbler was contributed by Lois Rhodes from Harrisonburg, VA and was in Wanda E. Brunstetter's cookbook, The Best of Amish Friends Cookbook Collection. I had some apples and since it was baked in an 8 - inch square pan, it sounded like just the right amount for my husband and me. 

Cobblers come in all different types. Some have a lot of liquid and some have little. I probably have a fondness for the ones with a lot of liquid because that is what my mother always made. My husband likes the ones what have very little liquid. This is one of those with little liquid that I did enjoy. 

When I make recipes with fruit that call for sugar coating the fruit, I usually use stevia instead. I don't feel like the sweet fruit needs a lot more sugar. I did the same with this recipe. Since there isn't much liquid in the finished cobbler, I would recommend that you use the real thing, aka sugar, for the batter portion.


APPLE WALNUT COBBLER

1-1/4        cups sugar, divided
1/2           teaspoon cinnamon
3/4          cup coarsely chopped walnuts, divided
4              cups sliced tart apples
1               cup flour
1               teaspoon baking powder
1/4           teaspoon salt
1               egg, well beaten
1/2           cup evaporated milk
1/3           cup margarine, melted

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Grease an 8 - inch square baking dish.


Mix 1/2 cup of sugar (I used stevia here), cinnamon, and 1/2 cup nuts.
Place apples in bottom of baking dish.


Sprinkle with cinnamon mixture.


Sift together remaining 3/4 cup sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.
In mixing bowl, combine egg, milk, and butter;

add flour mixture and blend until smooth.
Pour over apples.
Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup nuts.
Bake for 50 minutes.

Serve with whipped topping or whipped cream sprinkled with cinnamon if desired.




No comments:

Post a Comment