Friday, March 25, 2016

DROPPED AMISH CHURCH SUGAR COOKIES

I have always liked sugar cookies but not always all the trouble it is to make them ... rolling them out and then using cookie cutters, rerolling, etc. That's why anytime I see a recipe for "dropped" sugar cookies, I always stop and give it a second look.

I found the recipe for these Dropped Amish Church Sugar Cookies in my The Beverly Lewis Amish Heritage Cookbook. Her note below the recipe reads, "The perfect cookie for holiday gatherings of any kind . . . and for all ages, from Indiana Amish country!"

I cut the original recipe in half so I could just make 3 dozen cookies. My husband and I have trouble eating any more than that within a several days. (lol)


DROPPED AMISH CHURCH SUGAR COOKIES

3-1/2       cups flour (1-3/4)
1               teaspoon baking powder (1/2)
1               teaspoon baking soda (1/2)
1               teaspoon salt (1/2)
1               teaspoon ground nutmeg (1/2)
1-1/2        cups margarine (no substitutes) (3/4 - 1-1/2 sticks)
2              cups white sugar (1 - but I used 1/2 cup sugar/stevia blend to reduce sugar.)
1               teaspoon vanilla extract (1/2)
1               teaspoon almond extract (1/2)
2              eggs, slightly beaten (1)
1               cup sour cream (1/2 - I used fat free)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl.

In a large bowl, beat margarine, sugar, and extracts until creamy. (Since the margarine wasn't melted, I cut into slices to break down easier.)

Add eggs and sour cream; beat well.

Gradually add dry ingredients, mixing well.

Grease cookie sheets or line them with parchment paper. (I did the latter.) Using medium-sized cookie scoop, drop cookies 2 inches apart. Sprinkle with sugar. (I have a cookie scoop that holds 1 tablespoon of water that I use for all my cookies.)

Bake cookies for 10 - 15 minutes or until set. Don't allow cookies to get too golden.
Remove from cookie sheet and place on cooling rack.

When completely cool, store between sheets of waxed paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment