Wednesday, March 30, 2016

CHOCOLATE CHIP WALNUT BARS

I probably overdid it last week when Friend Janice and I went out on our Estate Sale Friday. I will blame Friend Fran who joined us for the day. Just kidding ... about blaming Fran. I just couldn't resist when the cookbooks were only 50 cents each. I did find some good ones, too. I have already marked about 7 or 8 recipes to try from the Favorite Brand Name Gifts From The Christmas Kitchen. If they are as successful as the first one I tried, I don't think you will regret my purchase.

I made these scrumptious Chocolate Chip Walnut Bars to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop. They are just one of several recipes that uses the same bar cookie crust. I will have to try a few of the other ones.



CHOCOLATE CHIP WALNUT BARS

Bar Cookie Crust (see below)
2       eggs
1/2    cup light corn syrup
1/2    cup sugar
2       tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
1        cup (6 - oz) semisweet chocolate chips (I used 60% cacao dark bittersweet chips)
3/4    cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare Bar Cookie Crust.


Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat eggs, corn syrup, sugar, and margarine until well blended. 


Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.


Pour over hot crust; spread evenly.


Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until set. (I did bake mine the full 18 minutes.)

Cool completely on a wire rack.


Cut into bars.



BAR COOKIE CRUST

2       cups flour
1/2    cup (1 stick) cold margarine or butter, cut into pieces
1/3    cup sugar
1/4    teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan with cooking spray.


In a large bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat flour, margarine, sugar, and salt
until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Press firmly into bottom and 1/4 inch up the sides of the prepared pan.


Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown. (I baked it 15 minutes and the edges were turning brown so I took it out.)


Immediately pour filling over top. Complete as recipe directs.

No comments:

Post a Comment