Monday, February 8, 2016

LEMON BLUEBERRY COBBLER

Since I have changed my shift at the register at Hillcrest Thrift Shop to the first shift, I have to make whatever dessert I am taking to share with the volunteers on Monday. Last week I decided to give them a surprise treat. Hot Lemon Blueberry Cobbler. I made it up before I left the house, plugged it in behind the check-out counter, and then let it cook during my shift. 

I was a little concerned when it didn't appear to be cooking and it was getting closer to the end of my shift. BUT the last 30 - 45 minutes it started smelling. Then I knew it was going to be okay. I did let it cook about 2-1/2 hours since that was so I could serve them after lunch. I guess that is what is so wonderful about slow cookers, a little extra time is okay. You could always lower the temperature to Keep Warm if you needed to wait to serve it.

Another great thing about this recipe is the flavors are almost endless. I used a lemon cake mix and blueberry pie filling. A spice cake with apple pie filling would be great. Of course, the chocolate flavored cake mixes work great with cherry pie filling. Other flavored pie fillings will work with a yellow cake mix. If you are counting calories, just use a lite or no-sugar-added pie filling and a sugar-free cake mix. If you want to sprinkle some chopped nuts on top, that would work also.



LEMON BLUEBERRY COBBLER


1       lemon cake mix
2      cans blueberry pie filling
1       stick butter, melted




Spray a larger slow cooker (6 - quarts) with a little cooking spray (for easy clean-up).


Pour and spread evenly the pie fillings in the slow cooker.


Combine the cake mix and the melted stick of butter making sure all the cake mix is wet. (You can always add a spoonful of water if some of it is still dry.)



Sprinkle the crumbled cake mix over the top of the pie filling.


Bake on HIGH for 2 hours or LOW for 4 hours. It was turning brown around the edges.


Serve warm with ice cream or whipped topping or alone as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment