Wednesday, February 24, 2016

FAST and EASY GERMAN APPLE CAKE

I normally go out with my friend Janice on Fridays to estate sales. Last Friday though Janice and her husband were leaving to go out of town to watch their twin granddaughters play in a basketball tournament in Nebraska. I knew about my "free" Friday for a week and had spent some time thinking of other things I could do to entertain myself for the day. One of them wasn't going to "work" at Hillcrest Thrift Shop, but when Cindy called me desperate for someone to work the register from 12:30 to 3:30, I couldn't say no to her.

Even though the Friday "crew" wouldn't be expecting a treat from me, I found myself Thursday night looking for something to make the next morning to surprise them at lunch. The recipe I found sounded like something I had made before, but when I searched on my blog, I didn't find the recipe. I did find a recipe for German Apple Cake though. To keep them separate, I thought I would name this one appropriately Fast and Easy German Apple Cake.

I didn't this time, but if you were counting calories, you could use a sugar-free yellow cake mix and no-sugar-added apple pie filling.

It was a BIG HIT at Hillcrest Thrift Shop.



FAST and EASY GERMAN APPLE CAKE

1         box yellow cake mix
3        eggs
1-1/2  cups flour, separated
1         can apple pie filling
1/2     cup sugar
1/2     cup margarine
1         teaspoon cinnamon
1/2     cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 - inch pan. (I used my homemade Pan Grease.)

Combine the cake mix and 1/2 cup flour to incorporate ingredients. Then add the eggs, and pie filling. Stir (low speed with mixer) til totally moistened. 
Then increase speed and beat for 1 minute.






Pour into pan and spread out evenly.

In a different bowl, coming the rest of the flour (1 cup) and the sugar with a whisk. 


Cut the margarine into the flour mixture until the texture looks like coarse crumbs. (I thinly slice the margarine first and then use my fingers to break it up and combine it with the flour,etc.)


Add the cinnamon and nuts.

Sprinkle over the top of the cake batter.

Bake for 45 minutes.

Remove and cool in pan on wire rack.






No comments:

Post a Comment