Wednesday, February 10, 2016

EASIEST AND BESTEST EVER BREAD PUDDING (SLOW COOKER)

I do love bread pudding. My husband ... not so much. He told me he thinks it is because when he had it as a child, his mother poured milk over it and he didn't like that. 

I know whenever I try a new recipe for bread pudding that I have to be prepared to eat most of it. He usually will eat at least one serving though (as my food critic). He actually ate several serving of this one. I think I may have found a winner!

This bread pudding has a couple of positive things going for it. One, it is super easy to make because you make it in a slow cooker. You can't hardly burn anything in that. ( I do sometimes get busy with other things and fail to hear the timer go off on the stove.) Two, it is made with cinnamon raisin bread which I love but don't buy too often. 

I wasn't disappointed in my results either. Even my husband said it tasted okay. (I prefer a little bit more enthusiasm but "okay" for him is pretty good.)

Saturday morning when I ate breakfast, guess what I had.  If you said "Bread Pudding", you are right. I heated it up in the microwave and it was so good. It's actually a perfect breakfast....like French toast without the frying. 



EASIEST AND BEST EVER BREAD PUDDING

10      slices cinnamon raisin bread
4        eggs, beaten
1         can sweetened condensed milk
1         cup water
1         teaspoon vanilla flavoring

Spray the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray.

Cut the bread into pieces about 1 x 1 - inch square. Scatter them evenly in the bottom of the slow cooker.


In a bowl, add the milk, water, and flavoring to the beaten eggs and whisk til thoroughly combined.



Pour mixture evenly over the bread cubes.


Press the bread down to make sure it is all covered.

Bake on HIGH for 1 hour in the slow cooker. Reduce the temperature to LOW and continue to cook for another hour and a half. You want to make sure the top is set.

Prepare a thin mixture of this topping.



LEMON POWDERED SUGAR TOPPING

1/2       cup sifted powdered sugar
1           tablespoon milk
1           teaspoon lemon extract

Combine til well mixed. 

You can pour it on the hot mixture while still in the slow cooker or if you are serving the pudding to a gathering, dish out the pudding in a bowl, and then pour a little of the topping over each serving. (I poured mine over the pudding while in the slow cooker because I just made it for the two of us.)



Serve warm or cold. (I prefer warm.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment